Chapter 1

You stood by Jeremiah

You stood by Jeremiah. Through everything, the ups and downs, you were always by his side. You and Jeremiah had known each other since you were 10. You met at the circus and had stayed close ever since...

As you trudged through the rain, up to the large circus tent, you heard what sounded like two people fighting. Turning around in the direction of the commotion, your curiosity peaked, you began walking towards it. You walked and walked, until you were in the backstage area where all the trailers were. Despite knowing you shouldn't be back here, your curiosity only pulled you closer

As you got closer to the noise you saw it came from behind a rusty, broken down trailer. Peaking around the corner, you saw it was two boys your age arguing and shouting at each other. They looked like twins, sharing the same fiery red hair and green eyes, the only physical difference between them being a pair of glasses.

"It's your fault everyone hates me!" One of them shouted, his voice cracking under the pressure, likely holding back tears.

"You only have yourself to blame for that." The other one sneered, adjusting his glasses. The other boy ran off, leaving the other one standing there

"Who's there?" The boy asked as he turned around to face where you were. Cautiously, you stepped out of the shadows and walked over to the boy, a slight frown evident on his face. "How much of that did you hear? He asked, sitting down on the stairs of the trailer, his head in his hands. "I didn't hear anything, really. I was only worried that someone was getting hurt, that's all." The boy looked at you and frowned even more, shaking his head as he spoke. "You're not a very good liar, you realize that right?" You shifted in the rain, guilt overwhelming you.

Shaking his head, he got up and walked over to you. "Sorry," He said, a slight grin appearing on his face. "Where are my manners? I'm Jeremiah. Come inside, out of the rain. I'll make a warm drink for you, you look freezing in that outfit." He said. He wasn't wrong, you were quite cold in your short, f/c dress, with only a thin, white cardigan covering your arms. Nodding, you followed the boy inside of the trailer, closing the door behind you.

The inside of the trailer wasn't very roomy. You sat down on a green sofa that surrounded a small table, Jeremiah walking over to the kitchen to get out two mugs and a can labeled 'Drinking Chocolate', boiling the water and getting out a jug of milk. "So, what's your name?" The boy asked, walking over to a bed you supposed to be his and grabbing a blanket off of it, bringing it back over to you and placing it over your shoulders. "My name is Y/n. By the way, if you don't mind me asking, who was that other boy you were arguing with?" You asked him innocently, covering your mouth as a tiny sneeze coming out as you spoke.

The boy stopped stirring the first drink, moving onto the second one as he answered your question. "Oh, he's my twin brother Jerome. He's a bit crazy if I'm being honest." Jeremiah said, turning around and placing a mug of hot chocolate infront of you, and placing another one on the table for hiself as he went to put the milk and hot chocolate can away, coming to sit back down. You chuckled as he said the last part, sipping at the hot drink he made you. "I wasn't joking. On my birthday he held a cake knife to my throat, and soon after that set my bed alight with me in it." He said. Your eyes widened as he said the last part, shock filling your body. "You're kidding, right? That's horrible!" You said, taking another sip of the hot drink.

Suddenly, a loud knock came from the door. "Coming!" Jeremiah said, pressing a finger to his lips, telling you to be quite. As he opened the door, you heard the voice of a very drunk sounding woman. "Jeremiah, it's nearly time for you to go on stage." The woman said in between hiccups. "Sure thing mum, I'm almost done getting ready." The boy said, closing the door on the woman as she walked off. "Hey, I uh, I have to go perform now. Will- will you stay and watch?" Jeremiah asked, his eyes hopeful. You giggled and nodded, finishing the hot chocolate. "Thanks, and yes, I'll stay to watch you perform." You said, your hair bouncing as you nodded. Jeremiah opened the door, letting you go first. You hugged him, his eyes widening in surprise at the guesture. He timidly returned the hug, the rain still pouring down, and walked you to the large circus tent.

Every year after that you returned to watch Jeremiah perform, until one year he stopped coming. Jerome refused to speak of him, his absence leaving a void. Their mother was affected by it most. She became more violent towards Jerome, slowly sinking into alcoholism and the embrace of her male performers as she neglected her lesser son.

You eventually stopped visiting the circus after Jeremiah left, it felt lonely without him there; however years later you'd receive a strange letter.

My dearest friend, y/n. Years ago you comforted me, offered me sincerity and friendship, something I'd never felt before meeting you. I understand if you feel confused by the sudden arrival of this letter, any rational person would, especially after years of no contact. A second letter will arrive shortly after this one containing a name and address. Remember it and burn both letters. I'll explain in depth face to face.

- snapdragon