Chapter 11

Sorry I haven't updated in such a long time, not gonna lie I've been really busy and have completely forgotten to update. This chapter is pretty short, but I will definitely try to update more often now.

----

We walked into the kitchen, and the guys were all sitting at the table with their feet up. Apparently they were really good at making themselves feel at home.

Austin immediately stood up and told the other guys to do so also. The way they obeyed his every command was almost pathetic.

"Alright, where are they?" Austin questioned.

Another bang of thunder shook the whole house and made me jump. The lightning that followed made the power go out for a few seconds. 'What a perfect time for a storm' I thought sarcastically.

"They're in the basement." I had a plan to fool these bozos and I had no idea if it was gonna work. It was worth a shot.

"Then bring us down there, what are you waiting for?"

"Jesus Christ kid why are you so damn impatient?" Jenna blurted out. She must've realized she made a mistake because when I punched her in the arm and told her to shut up she didn't argue.

Austin just rolled his eyes and followed as I made my way to the basement. I grabbed the key from drawer beside the door and unlocked it. I couldn't even remember the last time I went down there, the darkness and the bugs always scared me.

Everyone followed in behind me as thunder shook the house.

I shuttered at the thought that I was in a dark, cold basement during a storm with potential criminals.

I quickly found the light switch and flipped it on.

"Damn you have a lot of shit down here," Zach mumbled.

He was right, there was boxes upon boxes full of holiday decorations, old clothes, and random things that were never used but my mom refused to get rid of.

I watched Austin as his eyes scanned over the random furniture that was gathering dust. His face held no emotion, but I could tell he meant business.

"Are we just gonna stand here and admire all of your crap or are you gonna give me what I'm here for?" he snapped.

I ignored him and walked over to a small box close to the door. Because I was such a big Christmas fan, I always went down to the basement with my dad to help him bring in the ornaments, and I remembered coming across this box

just before he died. It was full of tapes, home videos according to him, and I decided these would be fine to give to Austin and his crew. Sure, they weren't what they wanted and yes they'd find out they weren't the real thing but my plan was to call the police and stay as far away from them as possible when they left.

There were three in the box, so I grabbed them all and handed them to him. "Here, you can leave now."

Austin handed them to Robert and he carefully inspected each one.

"They look legit to me," Robert said, handing them back to Austin.

"Alright I guess we'll be leaving then. Just so you know, I'm not an idiot, and I'll be watching these as soon as I get back to my place. If this is some sort of stunt, I'll find you. And you know I will," Austin threatened, leading his crew up the stairs as me and Jenna followed.

"Got it?" he asked once we got to the top.

"Yes, fine got it just leave already," Jenna said, breaking her silence. She ushered them to the front door as I locked up the basement.

As I put the key back, I saw someone out of the corner of my eye. When I looked up I realized it was Alex, who had hardly said a thing the entire time.

"Hey listen, I know he acts like mister macho, but he's really not a bad person. He's just gotten into some bad habits."

I looked at him, noticing how we were the same height. I never noticed how short he was.

"Well if you don't like what's he's doing, why do you go along with it?" I asked.

"He's been my best friend for a long time and I know this is just a phase. He'll get over it. Just don't take all of this too seriously," he explained.

And with that he left, Jenna locking the door behind him. I didn't know what emotion to feel, I should've felt happy that they were finally gone, but at the same time I knew it was just the beginning.

And I was right.