Chapter 3

"A date?!" Jenna squealed. Oh great, what have I gotten myself into. I've only been on two actual dates because, well, let's just say boys don't pay attention to me. I'm not one of those fake girls that are rich, wear way too much makeup, and can get any guy they want.

"Um yeah a date." My eyes struggled to find something to focus on, which happens when I'm lying. Luckily, Jenna didn't notice.

"That's great! When is it?" Her eyes were wide and I could tell she's genuinely excited for me. I feel awful for lying, but maybe if I keep it going she won't know it's not true.

"Monday night."

"Who's the lucky guy?"

I laughed nervously and said the first name that came to mind.

"Austin Mahone." I looked at her and saw her face light up. Austin is one of the "popular" guys at my school, and lets just say I've always found him attractive. I'd never actually go on a date with him or anything because he's a total jerk. But he's the first person I thought of so I just went with it.

"Oh my gosh Caroline he's so cute! I'm so happy for you!" She hugged me and then grabbed my hand. "C'mon lets go find something for you to wear." She dragged me up the stairs and into my room.

"But it's only Saturday." I sat on my bed and watched as she started rummaging through my drawers.

"I know but you wanna make sure you look absolutely perfect." Not finding anything in my dresser, she moved on to my closet. "You want to look perfect don't you?"

"I guess."

I continued watching her, but my mind is still on what happened earlier. I've always been a curious person and when I don't know something, I have to figure it out. So not knowing who the person on the phone was is killing me. I've never heard that voice before, but I have a feeling it's someone that knows me. They have to know me, they know my name don't they?

"Hello earth to Caroline." I looked up and saw Jenna waving her hands in front of my face. "What about this?" She's holding a shirt thats black on the front and leopard print on the back, and dark skinny jeans with small rips at the knees. "You could wear this with your black uggs."

"Why would I wear uggs in the summer?"

"Well technically it's still spring but fine you can borrow my black ankle boots."

Hearing that surprised me. Jenna never let's me go in her closet, let alone borrow her clothes.

"Wait are you serious?"

"Yes! And you could curl your hair and I can do your makeup if you want."

"Okay you're way too excited about this," I laughed.

"Well it's not very often that my little sister goes on dates. Especially with one of the popular guys," Jenna pointed out.

"Yeah I guess."

-

Oh how I hate Monday mornings. Waking up early is definitely not my thing, I usually sleep until about 1 pm on the weekends. But I have to wake up at 6 am on school days, which completely sucks. Not to mention that I hate school with a burning passion.

My alarm went off and I slapped the snooze button sleepily. I just want to lay in bed forever, but seeing as I can't do that, I got up and started my normal routine of showering, getting dressed, and doing my hair/ make-up.

After that I went downstairs to eat some breakfast, which is usually just a bowl of cereal or poptarts. When I walked into the kitchen, I noticed my mom making coffee for everyone.

"Good morning," she said enthusiastically. My mom is always happy and upbeat. I have no idea how someone can be so energetic at 7 in the morning.

"Morning," I replied sleepily. I went over to the pantry and grabbed a packet of s'mores poptarts. Then I walked over to the toaster and dropped them in.

"How would you like your coffee?" My mother poured the coffee into three seperate cups.

"Milk and sugar is fine." I walked over to the table with my cooked poptarts and sat down.

My mom brought my coffee over to me shortly after that.

"Here you go," she smiled. I looked up at her and thanked her. She looked similar everyday, her light blonde hair in a perfect bun and her gray blazer and pencil skirt neat and ironed like always.

"So," she said, snapping me out of my thoughts. She sat across from me now, in her normal seat. "What happened last night?"

I opened my eyes wide, not expecting that question. I couldn't possibly tell her what happened, she has enough stress on her from work and there's no need to worry her. "What do you mean?"

"Well you and Jenna haven't been the best of friends lately, but this morning she seemed very...happy for you," she explained.

I sighed with relief and shrugged my shoulders. I suppose I should tell her about my "date", but seeing as it's not actually gonna happen, I just gave her a simple "I don't know."

"Is there something you're not telling me?" She looked me in the eyes, curious.

"No mom I promise."

"Ok," she sighed. "You better hurry up, you don't want to be late to school."

-

Do you ever just sit in class and have no idea what's going on? Because you either don't understand what the teacher is talking about or you're just daydreaming and not paying attention? I do that all the time.

Sitting in the back of the class in algebra II, I let my mind wander yet again to what happened last night. Not knowing who had messaged and called me is killing me. And I still haven't thought of how to fix the whole "date" situation. Luckily, Jenna's the only person that thinks it's actually happening. Maybe I could just pretend to be sick the day of the date. She would probably believe that, but the problem is, I've missed too many days of school and if I miss any more I won't get credit for my classes. So that's out of the question.

Suddenly the bell rung, breaking me out of my thoughts. I got up and started walking to my locker when my friend Alexa tapped me on the shoulder.

"Hey!" she said, sounding chipper as always.

"How are you always so happy when you're here? Teach me your ways because I literally want to stab myself with a fork when I'm here." I continued walking to my locker and entered my combination.

"Aw c'mon Caroline schools not that bad." She batted her eyelashes and ran her hand through her long brown hair.

"That's easy to say when you're president of the class and involved in every club and sport known to man," I laughed. I put the books that I don't need for my next class in my locker. When I looked up, I saw a group of guys standing on the opposite end of the hallway.

It was none other than Austin Mahone and his buddies Robert, Alex and Zach. They're definitely some of the most known guys in our school.

They were messing around at Austin's locker, shoving each other playfully and laughing.

"Uh Alexa I need your help with something," I blurted out.

"Sure what's up?"

I shut my locker and took a breathe while thinking about how I should word this.

"Well, it's kind of a long story, but basically I had to lie to Jenna and tell her that I'm going on a date tonight and I'm not sure how to tell her it's not happening," I said in one breathe. At this point Austin and his friends were about two feet away from us.

Alexa looked confused, and I hoped she wouldn't ask anything I couldn't answer.

"Who did you tell her you're going on a date with?"

I sighed with relief, glad she asked basically the only question I have an answer for.

"Austin Mahone."

All of the sudden Austin turned around and his hazel eyes stared into mine.

"What was that sweetheart?"