10 Years Later 1/2

*Althea*

It's the first day of spring. I'm sat on the cliff edge, looking at the sea crashing down below. I'm not stupid enough to fall off, contrary to what Farley thinks. Clara spends most of her time downtown with her 'friends'. Farley doesn't know just what these people are like. In the beginning, I used to go with them until I realised just how wild they are. Besides, I prefer my own company.

Sitting on this cliff edge, I feel content. Just the sound of the waves and the book in my hands and the tree branches above my head hides me from everyone else. I like it that way to be honest. It's not that I won't socialise and hate people, but I prefer my own company. I'm more productive that way.

I do go into town though. Tucked away in the corner is my favourite place on Earth. The community bookshop. They have new books arrive each week and I'm always there to greet them. The owners know me well, well enough that they have a pile of books on a shelf just for me. Every time I go in, they give me one off that shelf with the other books I buy. And they're right, they are the books I enjoy the most.

Strange isn't it? A 28 year old harping on about books. You'd think I'd be happily married with children. I keep myself to myself, talking only to few people, those I trust. I am the daughter of two "legendary powerful heroes" so everyone wants a piece of me. That's why we live here, in a sleepy backwater village where they don't care who I am. At least, they say they don't. Men see me as a conquest, the ultimate goal and partner. So I don't talk to anyone of them. Girls see me as a threat or pretend to be my friend for the attention. So I don't engage with them. I'm happy this way. 

I shift, until I'm laid on my back. A cool breeze blowing from the sea below hits me as I curl a flame in between my fingers gently. It is a shiny gold, the size of a candle flame. It has a mind of it own, I just twist my hand as it runs along it. I blow it, and it crumbles into ash. Standing up brushing dirt off me, I lay my hands on the nearest tree and concentrate. It erupts in flames. They don't burn the tree, rather they wrap it in an orange blanket. Narrowing my thoughts, I move the flames off the tree and hold them. It creates what I call a fire tree, made completely out of flames. I pick up my book and leave it burning.

Walking into town, I head into the bookshop. "Ah Miss Althea! Back again! We have one last book for you."

The young man holds out a pale blue book labelled "War Storm." Flicking to the blurb, I see that it is my parent's story. I sniffle, caught off guard and he hands me a tissue. 

He takes me on a walk and introduces himself as Alec. He loves books like me, instantly marking him as a person of interest in my head.

I walk home that night with a stupid grin on my face.

"Sir, I have made first contact with the target. Preparing for assassination tonight."

A/N because I never do things by halves ;)