Chapter Nine

Zayn was very surprised to hear Mila no longer complaining about jumping from carriage to carriage. He knew very well that if they were travelling atop the transport like her and Harry had been doing before, that she would be kicking and screaming. Now, she jumped easily across the gap between carriages, following close behind him and his friends as they searched the train for Tony and his troops.

"I think it's a weapon of some sort," Liam finally said as they searched the third carriage. One man had been found lying with a broken leg in one of the compartments and with a little encouragement from Harry and his knives, he pointed the spies and Mila in the direction of where Tony was staying: the very front of the train.

"It can't be," Zayn said, shaking his head. He'd tried his best to get those horrible words about his parents out of his head, but no matter what he did, they were glued to the spot, taunting him like a nightmare that wouldn't pass. My parents would never take part in designing a deadly weapon like that, they were just standard spies like myself. Going on missions for the Association, not working in the Weapons Hall day and night. "My parents didn't work with machinery or weaponry."

"How do you know that for definite, though?" Harry asked quietly, jogging up to Zayn's side. "You know that secrets aren't allowed in the Association, so it looks as if the things that guy heard about your parents were true. Yeah, maybe they helped a little when designing some sort of weapon but if you think about it - this is all an act of revenge."

"Hm?" Zayn mumbled, confused for a second.

"Harry's right," Louis pitched in. "That guy said that this object had everything to do with your parents - that they helped design whatever it is they've taken. It's an enhanced design of an original idea, a better re-make of it. According to him, your parents used this thing to help kill hundreds and so they've taken something that will help them make it even more bigger and better. More powerful than your parents designed it to be."

"So, they've taken my parents design that helped the Association ... to use against the Association?"

Harry and Louis nodded in unison.

"Correct-a-mundo," Louis said with a small smile. "At least, that's what all of this looks like. Of course we could both be wrong. I mean, how would they subtly carry a weapon of some sort out of a heavily guarded corporation without being caught?"

"Beats me," Harry said with a shrug. "Zayn, how much further until we reach the front?"

"No idea. These trains always seem to go on for ages," he answered. "We shouldn't be too far now."

With the screams of a man and a woman inside his head, Zayn narrowed his eyes as he led everyone forward.

From the back of the group, Mila watched Zayn cautiously, very much aware that he was still trying to calm down after hearing such terrible things about his parents from a complete stranger. She knew that if anyone were to say such awful things about her parents, that she would punch them into the middle of the following week without a moment's hesitation. For such unforgivable things to be said required a punishment of some sort.