Nothing Ever Really Ends

I sat at the station in the ER with Dawson. “You know, you do have an office for this work?” My older brother said, spinning in his chair and looking at me.

“But then people know where to find me. That office is more public than this ward.” I scooted backwards on the chair to check one of the computers on the wall. Dawson wheeled to the printer to grab the results that were coming through.

“Then why do you keep the office?” We used the desk chairs to move back to our original positions.

“Because, I need the office for when I have meetings and other work related things.” Once again, we scooted past each other to pick up and return files and documents.

“There’s a lock on the door if you’re after privacy.”

“Yeah, but then I have to get up and down to deal with unsure interns and nervous nurses.” We moved back to our places once more.

The banter and the constant moving on the chairs would’ve continued, but a small, Australian chuckle cut us both short and we looked up at where Robert was leaning on the top of the desk. “You two are fun to watch.” He said with a friendly smirk.

Dawson scoffed and then scooted to my side to hand Robert a file. “I bet that’s not all Blair is fun at.” He teased, feigning pain when I hit him with the file in my hand.

“I don’t care if we’re in work or that I’m your boss, you’re an annoying ass of a brother at times.” My face was redder than a tomato on a salad. “Don’t you have interns to chase around or something?”

“As a matter of fact, I do.” Dawson said, briskly standing up and moving away, out of the ER and towards the ICU.

I shook my head and pushed the dark hair from my eyes, before looking up at Robert with a half serious, half loving expression. “How’re things around this place?” I asked him.

“Quiet. The interns have got a few things covered and everything else is being dealt with.”

“Good. I feel like I’m finally in control again now.”

“You’ve been in control all along Blair. You were just too picky to see it.” He said, a warm smile on his handsome face.

“Thanks. I guess our relationship gives you the right to be blunt and open with me now, then?” I quirked an eyebrow and folded my arms.

“Yes.” He grinned, his eyes challenging me.

I was about to reply with a cheeky, inappropriate for work comment, when a young, blonde intern appeared, tapping Robert on the shoulder and smiling a little too much for my liking.

He turned around and waited for her to speak. I kept my eyes fixed on her as she bobbed up and down slightly, whilst explaining the situation to Robert, her eyes twinkling, almost flirtatiously.

“Have you tried a needle aspiration biopsy?” I suggested, speaking up once she’d finished explaining.

Her eyes still remained on Robert, not even acknowledging that I had spoken. My eyebrows raised, jaw dropped and I could see Robert trying to figure a way around the awkward moment that was forming right in front of his eyes.

“Doctor Lyons is right. For now, try a NAB.”

“Thank you Rob.”

I looked at my boyfriend, an amused grin and shocked expression on my face as the intern walked back in the direction she had appeared from.

“ ‘Rob’? I think someone is trying to win you over.”

“I wish you’d reassign her.” Robert said, looking at me with desperation in her eyes.