Chapter 22

Chapter 22

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The light of the rising sun woke me up. I instinctively took a deep breath of the thick morning air. Memories flooded through me as my eyes fluttered open, seeing two sleeping boys snuggled together.

Hiccup looked so peaceful, so relaxed, with his arm draped over Harley and me, resting respectfully against my side. Harley had a trail of dried drool on his cheek, his light snores clinging to the last shreds of night.

Birds chirped all around, occasionally flying ahead, darting to where ever. The sky sparkled a glowing soft blue. White clouds dotted the sky, the winds swiftly moving them west, giving us a nice breeze on the roof. The tip of the sun could be seen as I sat up, careful not to disturb the boys of their slumber.

I walked to the edge, leaning against the tilted shingles and feeling the surprisingly smooth texture. I looked out to the horizon. A large city kissed the woods slightly to my right, giving the scene a strange but beautiful twist of two worlds.

"Morning, beautiful," a thick voice wished. Hiccup wrapped his arms firmly around my waist, yawning in my ear as he finished waking up. He rested his head on my shoulder. "Beautiful, isn't it?" he asked, talking about the view.

I nodded.

"But not as beautiful as you," he added with a smirk, pecking my cheek before pulling away. "We should get going. As much as I love being here with you and Harley, I have a list of things my father wants me to do today. And he is adamant about starting things early."

Together, we packed up, careful not to wake Harley. Toothless trotted silently beside us as Hiccup carried Harley through the castle, eyes darting around for any upcoming persons.

Upon reaching the room, he laid Harley down gently on the bed, tucking us both in to let us get an extra couple of hours of sleep.

"I love you," he promised, kissing our foreheads before quietly walking out, whispering Toothless' name to get the dog to follow.

I was woken up seemingly minutes later by a cry, "Da Da! Da Da! Da Da!"

"Harley, you need to calm down."

"Da Da! Da Da!"

"Shh, Harley, someone will hear you."

"Da Da! Da Da!"

I tore my eyes open, seeing a couple hours had passed and it was almost time for breakfast.

I spotted Harley on Heather's bed, the girls trying their best to quiet him.

I jumped up as he let out another cry and put my finger over his lips, signaling him to be quiet. He looked up with teary brown eyes, and I picked him up.

"Shh, shh," I soothed.

With my soothing, Harley quickly calmed down. He was still fussy but no longer crying or drawing attention. Handing him to Heather, I quickly got ready for breakfast. With the ball at the end of the week, classes were getting longer and more difficult, including the dance practices. Luckily, Hiccup agreed to help with Harley, spending every free minute he had with the lonely boy.

Distracting Harley with a few toys, we slipped out of our room and joined the other girls. Though a few whispered about a child's scream earlier that morning, it was quickly dismissed as a hoax. We walked down to the dining hall.

Breakfast was simple toast with butter and our choice of jam, and it was quick. We were rushed to the ballroom for dance practice, then had a quick lunch of simple sandwiches before returning to our lessons. It was entirely review at that point, making it an easy class, but it also made it boring. We went straight to dinner after class, then we were finally released for the day.

We rushed to our room, cutting ahead of the other girls. Since we knew the way, we were no longer lead by Mrs. Manning, meaning we didn't have to walk with good posture, in a line, or that antagonizing slow pace she always set.

Bursting into the room, the others hurried in when Harley let out a squeal of joy. Looking up from their game, Hiccup and Harley greeted us. Harley darted to me, flinging himself into my arms. I caught him, squeezing him to me and kissing his head. I missed him so much. I was used to being able to see him in between classes or sneaking off for a few minutes. Today, I had no such luck.

"G'evening, mi'lady," Hiccup greeted, pulling us into a hug. Just like I did with Harley, he kissed the top of my head and smiled down at me. His eyes were bright, eager. "We've been waiting for you. I finished all my studies early, so I can spend the remainder of the evening here." He looked up. "If, that is, it's okay with-"

"Of course it's fine," Astrid cut off.

"Yeah, it's nice to see Silence and Harley so happy," Kylie agreed. We took turns in the bathroom changing into more comfortable clothing. Though Astrid and Heather already knew everything, they insisted on studying for an hour. Kylie studied with them, and more. Ruff flat out didn't care, and let Harley use her review pages as a coloring book.

I worked studying in between Harley's small attention span. If he was distracted, I'd read my review pages, but I always paused when he wanted me to notice him.

"Harley, bud, I think we should let mommy study. She has an important test coming up in a few days," Hiccup cooed.

"What's a test?"

Hiccup blinked, struggling to find the right words, but I cut in, making a few gestures (signs) that had Harley nodding.

"Oh, those suck!"

Everyone laughed, agreeing with the little boy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~