Chapter 2

Rose rushed back up the stairs and through the double doors, which promptly shut and disappeared behind her.

What should I do? Why is there a giant down there? Is it alive?

Just then she caught sight of the younger of the two princes talking to a girl who looked like a princess. He glanced in her direction and smiled.

I'll tell him. Maybe he knows something.

Rose made her way towards him. He bowed to the princess, who curtsied and made her way to another group, and turned towards Rose.

"Hello again," He said smiling, "I don't believe I caught your name."

"I'm Rosanna, but everyone just calls me Rose. And I believe you are Prince Oliver." Rose curtsied with a smile.

"Yes, there's no need to introduce myself, is there? But just call me Oliver." he said, bowing.

Rose smiled. "Alright, Oliver it is. And I need to talk to you about something."

"Yes?" he said, looking serious.

"There are some doors over there," she pointed towards where she had come from, "And a stair case. And-and a giant."

"Wait, what?" he said furrowing his brow, "A giant? Where?"

"Follow me." Rose said. She walked over to where the doors should be. They appeared in front of her.

"See? They weren't there before." she said.

Oliver looked confused. "Um, what doors?"

"You don't see them?" Rose asked.

"No." Oliver said.

"Well, then I'll just have to..." Rose put her hands on the doors and they swung outwards.

"Okay, do you see them now?" She asked.

"Nope." Oliver said, smirking.

Rose looked at him.

"Really?"

"Yes." he replied.

"And you don't think I'm crazy?"

"Well, if father thought that bringing commoners here would spice things up a bit, he was right." He said, laughing.

Rose blushed slightly. "Well, maybe this will convince you, your highness."

Rose stepped through the doors. When she looked back, Oliver was putting his hand where the wall was supposed to be. It passed through thin air and he quickly stepped inside.

"Alright, you are definitely not crazy." he said, looking around.

Rose started down the stairs.

"Come look at this." she said.

The prince followed her down the stairs. Spotting the huge form, he went over to inspect it.

"Are you sure it isn't just a statue?" he asked.

"I thought that at first, but look at the detail. No artist - however good - could have done something like that," Rose said, "Besides, who would put a statue upside-down on the stairs?"

The prince laughed. It was a warm sound that filled the hall.

"That's true. But then what is it doing here? And is it alive?" he asked.

"If it was dead it would have already decomposed. Maybe there are more clues past the bottom of the stairs." Rose said, peering into the darkness below.