Chapter 4

Rose and Oliver pressed back against the bookshelves. They were surrounded and outnumbered.

"Wait, wait!" said Rose, "We haven't done anything to you! We didn't even know you were here!"

"That's not the way it looks," growled the centaur, "He knew we were here all along." He brandished his double-edged sword at Oliver.

"I had no idea! Why would I?" cried Oliver desperately.

The dwarf howled in rage and jumped at Oliver. He side stepped and pointed his sword at the creature.

"Maybe we can come to a truce," Rose spoke up, "Let Oliver leave. Keep me here and tell me your story. If I can work out an agreement with you about something you want, let us go and I will keep my end of the deal. If not, then keep me here for as long as you want. Just give us a chance."

"How do we know that you will be able to do what we want?" asked the elf suspiciously.

"He's a prince," Rose said, pointing at Oliver, "I'm sure we can work something out."

The creatures looked at each other. They came to a silent agreement.

"We agree to this arrangement. As long as he is out of sight, we will remain peaceful." said the fairie.

Rose gave Oliver a nod.

"Rose, I-"

He was cut of by the satyr pushing him out of the room.

"Follow me," he said gruffly.

Oliver followed the satyr. Rose was nudged by the dwarf to follow as well. She walked next to Oliver with the rest of the creatures trailing behind. They were led through a labyrinth of bookshelves towards one corner of the room. As they got closer, they heard a cacophony of screeches, neighs, and stomps.

"What is that?" Rose whispered.

Just then they turned a corner. A floor-to-ceiling cage lay before them. Inside was a tangle of creatures. Rose could see unicrorns, phoenixes, and griffins. They reared and shook the sides of the cage.

"My friends!" bellowed the giant. With that, he began ripping the mesh apart with his bare hands. Animals started streaming out, rushing towards the group that stood watching. Rose and Oliver quickly stepped aside as creatures flew and galloped towards them.

Smiles broke out on the faces of the group as they embraced the animals. The two humans watched in awe as the centaur went over to two statues and touched them, suddenly bringing them to life. Their heads almost touched the ceiling and they were a pure black granite.

"What are those?" Oliver said, his eyes wide.

"Golems. Don't get in their way, they pack a mighty punch." warned the golem with a grin.

"Don't worry, I won't." grumbled Oliver. 

"Now," said Brooke, "Mr. Prince can get in the cage while the golems watch him. Clear?"

Rose stepped forward. "No, not clear. You said you'd let him go."

The elf turned towards her. "I've decided that he can't be trusted. He stays in there." she pointed to the cage.

Rose held her ground. "That's not part of the deal."

Oliver put his hand on Rose's shoulder. "It's okay," he said, "If anything it makes me feel better to be able to hear what's going on down here."

Rose thought for a second. "Fine. But no one touches him. If he's hurt, the deal's off." 

Brooke gave a curt nod, then turned to the centaur. "Tell the golems to make sure he doesn't escape." 

The centaur bowed and blew a series of short whistles at the golems. They stepped in front of the cage and glared menacingly - if that was possible in a face of rock - at Oliver. 

"Now you can come with us, Rose." said the fairie, lifting into the air. Rose followed the group back the way they had come from, glancing back at Oliver one last time.