Chapter 3

Margaret and Rose were very distracted the next few few days. Margaret wouldn't stop talking about the ball, and Rose couldn't think of anything besides the secret hall in the castle. Their tutors took to letting the girls take walks outside to get fresh air.

They were on one of these walks when they heard a carriage coming up their driveway.

"Let's see who it is!" Margaret said.

Rose followed her sister to the front of the manor. A carriage was sitting out front with a man just stepping out. He caught sight of the girls and walked towards them.

"Good day, ladies. I'm looking for Margaret?"

"That's me!" said Margaret.

"Well in that case," the man reached into his satchel and pulled out an envelope, "This is for you."

Margaret took the letter and thanked the man. He got back in the carriage and drove away.

"What is it Margaret?" Rose asked curiously.

Margaret turned the envelope over. It bore the familiar royal family seal. She broke the seal, pulled out a letter, and started reading it. A grin spread across her face.

"I'm invited to a small party Prince Philip is throwing!" she said.

Rose smiled. "Wow, another one?"

"Yes," Margaret's face fell, "Oh, but it only says that I'm invited."

Rose shook her head and smiled. "That doesn't matter. Have fun."

"Oh, I'll tell you all about it!" Margaret said, hugging her sister.

The girls were walking towards the front door to tell their parents the news when another carriage arrived. A tall man stepped out with a letter in hand.

"Good afternoon," he said, bowing, "Are either of you two ladies Miss Rosanna?"

Rose stepped forward. "I am."

"Here you go, miss." He said, bowing. He turned and got back in the carriage. Rose broke the royal family seal as he rode away.

"I'm invited as well!" She said to Margaret. Margaret took the letter.

"Ah, but you've been invited by Prince Oliver." She smirked.

Rose snatched the letter back with a mischevious smile and opened their front door.

***

"Rose are you ready?" Margaret called.

"Just a moment!" She called back. She slipped a small dagger in the belt of her dress, with the sunset's light glinting off the blade. She straightened her navy blue dress and met Margaret out in the hall adjoining their two rooms.

"There you are," said Margaret, "The carriage is waiting out front."

The girls kissed their parents goodbye and got into the carriage. The whole ride to the castle was filled with Margaret's chattering. Rose smiled at her sister's excitement, but couldn't keep her mind from wandering to the adventure that lay ahead.

They arrived at the castle just as the sun dipped below the horizon. Their carriage door was opened and the climbed the steps to the castle doors. They were escorted into the dining hall. One long table was set in the middle of the room. A good amount of people were present, but a much smaller amount than the prince's birthday.

Rose took a glass from a waiter and said hello to a few people that she recognized from the ball. After a little while the king climbed a few of the stairs to make an announcement. Just then, Rose heard a whisper in her ear.