Chapter seven

CHAPTER VII:

I was still in a daze as we got up from our seats and thanked Venei for his help. Still speechless as we passed through his enchanted brick wall on our way home. I was still contemplating whether or not I made the right decision as we traversed through the forest in the afternoon light.

“Tori, are you alright? You haven’t said a word since we left Venei’s house.” Gwyn asked. I could hear the concern in her voice.

“Yes I’m fine. A bit shaken though, but I’ll live.” I smiled at her as she helped me jump a puddle.

“Do not worry about the task at hand. Haven’t I said before that I will train you to be the best?” She was so self-assured, as if nothing could go wrong.

The sun was starting to set as we passed under a bridge on the way home. I was about to ask her what’s for dinner when she pulled me to hide in the thick shrubbery of red roses.

“Ow,” She clamped a hand on my mouth and shushed me. She gestured for me to stay quiet as we sat there listening to nothing, until I heard voices coming from somewhere.

“Look at what we’re doing here, ‘ey, walking a damn dog. I cannot believe how spoiled this mutt is.” A scruffy man’s voice said.

“Ya, I know what ye mean by that. I didn’t come ‘ere to be no dog walker. I wanted to be a palace guard. But nooooo. That wretched witch had other things in mind.” Another man’s voice said.

I was uncomfortable, but I stayed perfectly still among the thick bush of roses. I could feel the thorns digging into my skin. Any slight movement would shred bits of my flesh. I was certain of that.

“Careful with your words there, ya never know if she may be listening.” The scruffy voice said.

“I don’t care man! I’ve never been this underpaid before. Ever since the King died...” He trailed off. Neither of them said a word.

“Man that was heart breaking. That was also the last time I’ve drank Flutter-bee’s milk man.” Scruffy voice complained.

“Oh, that. I’ve forgotten what it tastes like. It was also the last time I’ve had good food. Like real food mate. It’s like every single day we eat the same damn thing.” The other guy whined.

“But the Queen’s banquet is coming up, so ya know. Good food, good music. Certainly good ladies, if ya know what I mean.” Scruffy voice said. I wrinkled my nose in disgust.

“I know man! It is certainly something to look forward to mate. I cannot wait four more days.” I can’t wait four more minutes in this position.

“Come on man, let’s get on our way.” After they had shuffled away, we waited a few more minutes before we emerged from our hiding spot.

“Tori, did you hear what they said? The Queen’s banquet is four days from now.” Gwyn said, examining her own cuts.

“Which means…” I trailed off, not sure where she was going with this.

“It means that the Queen’s banquet would be the day we fulfil the prophecy, the day Adrianna meets her death.”

“Huh? How is that good news? I mean, wouldn’t Adrianna be on her guard for attacks during the celebration?” It seems like a bad idea to me. But then again, I never really approved of the plan in the first place.

“She will undoubtedly be on her toes, but everyone else would be distracted with the preparations for her celebration. Come on, let’s go home.” She grabbed me by the wrist and ran; the wrist grabbing and running was certainly becoming a thing now.