Eight: The Dinner Party

Grace sets the dining-room table for guest who were just minutes away

Grace sets the dining-room table for guest who were just minutes away. Kat decided it was a good idea to invite the fiancés over for dinner, to congratulate them and also to convince her sister to drop whatever plan she had in progress. "HEY GIRLFRIENDS!!" Hannah yells as soon as the front door closes. "Wow, are you guys sure this isn't my wedding hall?" She ogles at the dim room and lit candles on a white table cloth. "Because it sure looks like it." She sits a chocolate cake down on the table then gives Kat a tight hug. "It's been a while, Kit-Kat!"

"It has, oh my god I forgot all about that damn nickname! I haven't heard it since senior year, stop bringing back memories."

"It's making her feel old..." Grace adds with a sly smirk.

The two break from the hug, still embraced wit their arms, smiling wide. "If I'm old that means you are too." Kat rolls get eyes at her sister, then give Hannah a warm grin. "How have you been?"

In the doorway, someone catches Grace's attention. A soon to-be groom stands in the hall with his hands in his pockets, he gives a quick grin. She found this odd...he is too quiet. "Oh, he's mad that he's missing some football game. But I persuaded him." Hannah whispers the last bit to her girlfriends. Grave makes to say some, before she can, Kat cuts in.

"Well, the food is done, so we can go ahead and stack our plates."

"Oh cool, come on babe. I'm starving, this diet is killing me."

They all sit at the nicely organized table and began piling food onto their plates, spaghetti, garlic bread, chicken, and potatoes salad. Grace pours wine into tall glasses and pass them around. Quickly eyeing David, who doesn't say a single word, who glances away from her gaze. Hmm...her mind wonders.

"Han, so how is everything going? Do you have your hall and dress together yet?"

"Yes, my mom found a hall it's so nice I can't wait to rehearse. My dress should be delivered tomorrow, thanks to Grace." She places her hand to her heart.

"Good. Aww, I wish I could join as a bridesmaid, but I'm swamped with exams and chess committee."

"No biggie, you'll be my VIP."

Grace peeps at David as he eats, spotting him clench his jaw. "You're a nerd." She directs her attention to her sister.

"I take that as a compliment, so...."

"Yeah but it sounds boring...chess committee, I thought you were working on your boutique. That would be a lot more fun."

"No way! Are you talking about that fashion boutique you dreamed up in grammar school?" Hannah exclaims.

"Yeah...I actually still want to launch it, but it's rough getting a newbie business up and running...." She's sips on wine. "I found a building to rent close to downtown, though. Maybe DressMess can be my new year goal." Kay crossed her fingers. "Wish me luck."

"Well, that's a start!"

David reaches into his pocket and unlocks his phone. "It's work, I gotta take it." Hannah squeezes his hand before letting him go. Under different circumstances, Grace would have found this adorable.

"Busy man." Kat notes.

"A little too busy. Especially when he's not supposed to be. How is that even possible?"

"Well like they say, a busy mind stays..." Grace taps her fingers on the clothed table, "busy."

"Did you just make that up?"

"She so did, Han." The girls all burst into laughter.

"Yeah, so what?." Her phone buzzes, which lays face first on the table, she turns the screen towards her. A text shows on the screen from David...the content hidden. She types in a passcode.

"Have you chosen a bakery yet?"

"Not yet, I'm planning on doing that maybe next week although I should do it now."

"There's this one that's worth the money, my chess competitions are catered by them, the cakes are so moist and rich."

Grace reads the text:

David: You see how things are normal right now. Leave it this way, okay?

She types a reply: If things are so normal why are you hiding? 💅🏾