Eleven: Rumor

10 Days Away

10 Days Away...

Grace began spending loads of time with Hannah in hopes of finding out if she knew where her soon to be husband was. She had gotten sick of hearing the bride's annoying chatter about an upcoming, romantic honeymoon, which really was going to be in Hawaii. Picturing the two alone in a candle-lit room conjured up unwanted disgust. But what can I do about it? All her plans of mischief had ended when the guy she loved disappeared five days ago. After the rehearsal. Within a clean bakery shop, Grace checks out colorful and plain cakes. Her eyes then lock on cake toppers, examining a shelf of the items. The bride and groom figures are in many different races, and many biracial parings. One black couple wedding topper traps Grace in a long daze. She swallows hard, before tearing her eyes away from it. A few customers shop behind her. Grace's fingers go to her throbbing throat, tracing it, her eyes stare off into the distance. Her ears buzz out all surrounding noise. Anxiety sails through her. She gazes to her side, where Hannah is yapping on, and decided to tune back in to her what her friend is saying.

"...claims he can swim but I keep doubting it."

Grace clears her throat. "I remember him being on the team for a little bit back in high school, he won a few trophies too."

"He didn't tell me that!"

"Yeah, that's a bad habit of his."

Hannah holds up a finger. "Hold on, G." She walks to the back of the bakery; her phone to her ear.

Grace ruthlessly glares after her. "Where has he been lately? Is he ghosting you?"

"Ha!" She cracks up. "No. He's been busy unbooking gigs. Hey babe, so guess who just informed me that you were on a swim team in high school?"

"Tell him I say hey." Grace heads to a baking station. A baker spreads a layer of frosting onto a five tier wedding cake. "Hello, excuse me."

An auburn haired, elderly lady comes to the counter. "Yes, how can I help you?"

"I want to make a change to the address for a Mrs. Michaels, it's a complete prank for the bride. She can't know about." Grace whispers.

"Umm, a cake prank?"

"For a YouTube channel, have you ever saw a spider prank on there? Since Halloween is around the corner and the wedding too, the party decided to send the love birds off with a bang. Imagine the look on their faces when a mechanical spider is inside the box! Priceless!"

"You didn't tell me you played drums either!"

Grace leans on the counter speaking hastily before she is caught. "It'll be a great video if we can have the cake sent to another address to, we want to add a few items to it ourselves."

"Usually, the company doesn't let anyone other than the bride give a say so on delivery...but I guess..." The lady observes her skeptically. "So you say it's for one of those YouTube prank?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"OMG, NO WAY!! I'm gonna kill you...with kisses." Hannah snorts cutely.

The lady hands her a square piece and paper and a pen. Grace jolts down the new information, crossing out the old contact information. She adds an address and a number. "Trust me, I'm the maid of honor she's my best friend." She smugly hands the baker the paper.

"Alright...I'll put it down on file," the baker says hesitantly.

"Also, could the number be changed too?" The lady gives a hard look. "Hey, it can only be great if it's secret." She eases on with her plan. "It's right at the bottom."

"I want to see the trophies! Now back to the swimming, from my memory you're not good at it.."

"Alrighty then, I'll make the changes, be right back." The baker leaves to a kitchen behind floppy doors.

"Take your time." Grace looks over at Hannah who is still on the phone. She walks to her. "Hey, there's a problem with the frosting machine so we'll have to come back tomorrow. It's jammed."

"Are you for really?!!" Hannah asks in utter disbelief.

"Yep, the timing couldn't be any worse could it?"

"Well that's a bummer, I was hoping to get it today." She places a hand on her hip. "Hey, call you back soon, love." Her sugary tone angers Grace. "Okay, I guess...we can...talk," Hannah hangs up the phone awkwardly.

Uh oh....what is this? Grace wonders as they head outside. Strong winds meet them outside, where pumpkins and straw decorate many houses in the neighborhood. The girls approach a red car, one wondering if David had spilled anything. "What about?"

"It's just some stupid rumor. Um...so, someone told me that you and David were acting strange at the rehearsal...and that it seemed like you two were-"

"Were what?" Hannah knows, she has to... Grace wasn't sure if she wanted the truth out just yet. She needed more time to plan something bigger. Who told her this? The culprit for the gossip had to be Scarlett, she put two and two together. I don't like you now, brown-nosier.

Their eyes meet from across the roof of the car. "Flirting..." Hannah breaks the silence, her cheeks flushed.

Grace blinks frantically. "Flirting?" She puts on a clueless voice.

"Yeah silly right?" Hannah relaxes. " I know how some guy, girl relationships are confusing to other people."

"Hmm, yeah that's real funny." The two girls laugh nervously. Someone needs to mind their goddamn business. Graces shakes her head. "Wow, has David heard about this?"

"I ran it by him, he said its just a rumor." Still denying it, still hiding, are we? Grace remains quiet. It's not time to tell her the truth yet, not until David is around again and the three of us are together. "Okay, whew." Hannah takes the silence as a no. "That was awkward."