Eighteen: Blow Out

Kat was the one to go after Hannah, she didn't say a word to the two liars

Kat was the one to go after Hannah, she didn't say a word to the two liars. Out onto a small balcony looking onto a city at night, she goes and hugs the distraught bride-to-be. "Two days away...my wedding is two days away, Kat. I-I can't believe they...that she would do this to me." Hannah hands clutch onto a railing

"I know."

"I don't know what to do." Hannah breaks from the hug.

"Me either."

"How did this even begin, when did they date?"

Kat sighs. "They dated a bit in high school. A few months before you came back from living with your dad. They were secretly together then broke up when he graduated..."

"WHAT?!!" Hannah grips the banister tighter. "SHE NEVER TOLD ME THAT!"

"Grace should have told you when you right off." Kat pats her back softly. "I tried to stop her."

"She usually listens to you, why is she deciding not to now?"

"My words are nothing but air when it comes to this, sorry."

"She was supposed to be my maid of honor..."

Kat looks onto a traffic heavy street ahead, at cars passing by. "If you want I can take her place and make sure your plans go through, I told her not to do this." Leaves rustle pass the small porch and faint sirens wail in the distance.

"This is just-"

The door behind them opens. They both turn. Grace is in the doorway, a look of pity on her face. "Han, I'm sorry."

"Yeah, well sorry doesn't cut it! I walk down the aisle on Friday, now you decide to tell me this?? When I told you that day at the bakery about what Scarlett said; about the rumor...you lied to my face, Grace." Her tone becomes dangerously calm. "What, do you expect me to accept your apology? You're sorry." She hisses.

"I never meant to lie to you."

'You didn't tell the truth so you did mean to! You should have been honest about everything INSTEAD YOU LIED! I would have listened." Her voice shatters.

"Can you give us a minute?"

"No, stay!" Kat stays put, her braids blow in the wind. "She's the only one I can trust. I wonder, what else have you lied to me about?"

A window of an apartment unit above, creaks open. "Hey, SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!" The resident, a man, hollers and slams the glass window close.

"Guys, let's take it back inside."

"I loved him before you."

"That's funny, because you never mentioned him..." Hannah nears her, raging. Kat draws between them. "All you had to do was call me...just a phone call away. Instead you hid him from me."

"I know and I'm sorry about that."

"There you go again with the sorry shit, SORRY DOESN'T MAKE IT BETTER!! You lied to me, probably more than once. You kissed him, and two little words are supposed to justify all that?"

David steps out from inside the apartment. A pale tint in his dark skin. "Can we talk about this, baby?"

Hannah laughs hysterically. "I don't think we need to talk. It's done. You two have been keeping a tasteless secret from me for weeks. And you for years. But you know, I kind of suspected it after that rumor. But I just thought it was too crazy, that it was way too..." She bites her lip. "What am I suppose to do now? I've been building up to this moment more than anything in my life, it's all I've ever wanted, now it's crashing. My best friend and my fiancé are having an affair." She deepens her nails into her balled fist.

"No, we only kissed. Nothing else."

"Oh, that makes me feel so much better! I don't want to scream anymore or hear excuses." Then, Hannah slaps her feet down the stairs. "I gotta figure this out..just...don't mess with me right now."

"I love you," David's desolate tone causes her to stop and turn halfway down the stairs. She manages a half smile but it doesn't reach her eyes. Then she eyes down Grace, coldly, before carrying on.