Twenty: As The Heart Wants

Kat jams jiggling keys into a doorknob

Kat jams jiggling keys into a doorknob. She picks a white box up from in front of the door and carries it into an her sister's apartment. She peeks inside it; a wedding cake. She places the box on a sofa then heads down the hall to Grace's bedroom.

"Wake up!" Kat hits Grace with a pillow. "GET. UP. NOW!!" Grace rolls over onto her side. "Why is Hannah's cake here? And why aren't you at work Ms. Watson called me."

Grace gets off the bed and slips into slippers. She doesn't speak. Her feelings were all over the place. Regret, lost, stress. Coldness. Hurting someone close to her wasn't something she ever thought she'd do, yet it happened. Her mind thought back to an faded memory: two small hands intertwined tightly, like the sky and sun. A glimpse of unshakable love of two small girls. Two childhood friends. Then the look on Hannah's face from the other night. Completely broken and cruel. A look never seen in all the years of their friendship. Did I take it too far? Did I just mess up everything? What am I doing? I do want to see my friend happily married...should I just stop? Shit!

"Oh, so you're not talking to me anymore?" Kat shows her a phone screen. "Whatever, forget it, just read what it says." Grace reads text messages:

Kat: So what's your final decision?

Her eyes scroll down:

Hannah: I'm going through with it. Just decided. Let Grace know she isn't invited.

The time sent was fifteen minutes ago. "WHAT!!! She snaps. No longer sympathetic. "No, I didn't take it too far..." Her groggy voice fires as her mood scorches. "UGH!! I told that bitch I loved him and this is what she does?!"

"Grace, you can't get in, the police will most likely be there, I'm pretty sure Hannah means what she's saying, you're not apart of her wedding anymore. I offered to take your place as maid-"

"I can and will get in. Fuck that..." She hurries to the bathroom, her sister blocks the threshold.

"No."

"What the hell, you're supposed to be on my side. My sister. So help me figure out a way..." She snatches her purple gown from a closet along with a a pair of silver, ankle strapped heels.

"Leave it alone, put down the dress."

"TO HELL I WILL, MOVE!!" She pushes pass; knocking her sister to the side.

"Hey-"

"SHUT UP!! I don't want to hear one of your lectures right now." The door bangs close before Kat finishes talking.

"Fine, do whatever the fuck you want, because everything in this world changes for you. The world bows to you!" Kat yells sharply. Grace tunes her out. The past will happen again, it already had, her mind explained. She dresses and applies on a little makeup. "...DON'T COME TO ME CRYING WHEN IT BLOWS UP IN YOUR FACE!" Another door bangs.

Before leaving the apartment, takes a box of matches, striking one, and sets Hannah's wedding cake on fire. She watch it melt; her eyes glinting in delight. Smoke rises. She smiles as sprinklers spray the apartment. Storming out the building and down three blocks, forgetting her car. Grace ends up calling an Uber. She didn't know what she'd do but knew it wasn't going to be pretty. All feelings aside, this time, no sentimental blockades. No. She wouldn't feel bad again. No, no regrets. Grace wouldn't begin to question her actions.

The only thing Hannah had to do was call it the fuck off and let me be with David! The fact that she didn't do that made Grace want to tear at the bride, take the perfect little day and burn it to the ground right before her eyes. Like the sweet flames in her apartment. Because now it's personal. Now it's war.