Chapter 4: Who I Am

I dragged my feet through the coals and realized I was on my doorstep. I reached a dirty hand towards the handle and stopped myself. "That will hurt," I thought realizing how hot it must be right there, where I stood. "How strange, I can run faster than ever, I drank blood from a deer, and now, I can't feel heat, this is weird," I pondered.

I grabbed the door handle, expecting it to be painfully hot, but I felt nothing. I pushed the door open and saw a nightmare.

The chairs and tables were split in 2, my favourite lamp was broken and the glass from it was crushed. Under my feet were pieces of ripped cloth.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I whimpered, "why, why!?"

I ran to the steps with mind boggling speed and raced up. My rooms door was split and my bed was broken. Pillow stuffing was in the hallway and I didn't dare look at my pictures on the wall. I took 3 quick strides to the bathroom door and look in the mirror.

What I saw was nothing I expected. My usual tanned skin was pale white and my hair was golden. My nose stud stood out more than it ever had and my lips were blood red. Blood. And more beautiful than ever.

I grabbed my favourite leather backpack and put some outfits inside.

I moved on to my mothers room. As I pushed open the door I already knew what I would see.

There lay my mother, my brother, and my baby sister. They all look charred and dirty. My mother had a book in her hand.

"Mom!" I ran to her side and grasped her, pulling her into a tight hug. I looked at the book. It was my favourite childhood story book called Sylvester and The Magic Pebble. I grabbed it and blew ashes off. I stuffed it into my backpack.

I moved onto my sister, Amy. She had her favourite pink unicorn in hand. I grabbed that aswell.

As I went to my brother I swiped tears off of my face. "This is a day like none other," I thought,"I will never let this go." I grabbed my brothers silver chain necklace with a tree and red diamond on it and kissed my family all goodbye. One by one. Then I left. With my treasures in my bag I headed to the forest.