Chapter 1: The Figure

"Bye Mom! I'm off to school!" I called before I left the house.

"Wait, Ivy. When will you get home?" My mother, Andrea, panted, "I would love some help with your siblings."

"I'm sorry! I already promised Kate that I would go to the movies with her!" And with that I shut the door. Guilt tugged at me, telling me I should cancel my plans tonight. Nevermind, I never get to go out.

My family had lots of troubles. To start it off, I have two siblings. I swear, half the time they are hooked on sugar! But the real problem is that we lost my father about two years ago. He was off on a business trip to Kenya and there was an attack on the village they were staying in. The doctors said that there was only an 8% chance that they could save him... That ruined our hopes.

It was pale and shadowy outside and the air around me felt sad. I gazed thoughtfully at my surroundings. This city I lived in never ceased to "stop raining." To the left of the house was a green and musky forest, and to the right, the neighbours. As I unlocked my brand new, orange, Ferrari , Sam, my cute neighbour whistled.

"Hey! Where did you get that machine?" He called. As if he had never seen it!

"It was a congratulatory gift from my mom," I boasted as I jumped into the vehicle. Being a star dancer for the last 12 years had gotten me into So You Think You Can Dance and I came back with a 2nd place trophy.

I started my engine and creeped back and out of the driveway.

"See ya later!" Sam yelled over the roar of the engine, his blue eyes piercing through the fog. I waved quickly and glanced at the forest.

Suddenly, a great big blur whizzed past the front of his house. My jaw dropped at the speed and my brain rattled to find an explanation. I jerked the car to a stop a looked again but it was gone. Already. How strange? I thought, Forget it, just forget it. You have school, just go to school! 

I hit the gas and zoomed out of the driveway towards hel-school. Whoops. But I know all of you out there can understand this burning sense of hatred!

◾️◽️▪️▫️

"And I can't change, even if I tried, even if I wanted to-- my love, my love, my love she keeps me warm," I sang. Tonight I would go to a vampire romance movie with Kate called Twilight. I am so excited. It just came out and I've read the whole series of books. It's so good! Edward... (Swoon)