2 // Where We Started

"Let's get inside, Cam. It's getting dark." I tell him as I stand up.

He follows me back inside then I enter the kitchen while he sits next to Carter on the couch. I decide to go talk to Harleigh and see how she's doing. Harleigh is the type of person to hide away when she's hurt or doesn't feel well. So that's what she does everyday,

"Hey, Harls." I slightly smile.

"No, I'm not hungry." She answers.

"I just wanted to know how you're doing."

"I'm doing just as well as you, Maddie." She sighs.

"We'll get through this, Harls. I'll get Hayes." She nods. "Oh, I'm going to San Diego next Tuesday and I'll be back Friday." She nods again. This is normal. I rarely get a normal response.

I sigh then walk back into the kitchen. "Hayes, go cuddle with her or something. She really needs you right now."

He nods then quickly makes his way to her room. Hayes is probably the only one in the house who can hold a full conversation with Harleigh. He's also the only one who can make her smile or laugh. I'm not surprised, it's young love. In fact, it's the most real young love I've ever seen.

I feel like Hayes could be the one to bring her back to her old self. But me? I don't know who could. Maybe Cam or Nash. Maybe even Shawn or Matt. Or Carter. Anyone from Magcon could possibly bring me back to my old self, but in reality only Taylor could fully do the job.

~

"Shawn will be in 416 and I'll be in 425 if you want to talk to one of us." Isabelle says before handing me my room key.

Coming back to San Diego is possibly the most stupid thing I've ever agreed to. This is where Taylor asked me to be his girlfriend the first time. This is where we started. I'm such an idiot.

I walk into my room and drop my luggage by one of the beds. I text Shawn to come to my room when he gets here so we can catch up. After I hit 'send', I walk out onto the balcony. Déjà Vu hits me like a slap in the face.

*flashback*

"Babe, you know what is very stupid?" Taylor asks, joining me on the balcony.

"What?"

"You aren't officially mine."

"Yeah. I know." I look at him.

"You should know I've been getting bitches left and right." Taylor smiles.

"You're an idiot!" I laugh while playfully punching him in the arm.

"I'm you're idiot."

"Not officially."

Taylor laughs.

"That's going to change." Taylor mumbles.

*end of flashback*

I miss his laugh. It's times like this when I wish Taylor's parents wouldn't have cut off his cell phone contract. Before they did, I'd listen to his voice mail which said; "Hi this is Taylor. Obviously I couldn't answer for some reason so I guess Maddie will make me call back later.", then he laughs and it ends.

My thoughts are cut off by a knock on the door. I smile widely as I run to the door and swing it open, revealing Shawn. I engulf him in a hug before he can even say hello.

I remember the first Magcon I went to and Carter said Shawn and I would most likely become best friends. Well, we did.

Shawn lifts me off the ground and slowly twirls us in circles. I honestly missed Shawn a lot. He's my best friend and I really wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't had so much motivation from him.

Shawn sets me back on my feet and we enter my room. "So how have you been?" He asks as we sit on my bed.

"Horrible." I answer truthfully. I give him the same answer every time we FaceTime but, like Nash, he still continues to ask.

"Everything gets better eventually, Madd." He assures me.

"I don't want to cry right now. How have you been?"

"Pretty good. Just ready to record this album." He smiles.

"How was your seventeenth birthday?" I really can't believe Shawn is seventeen. When I met him, he had made fifteen a few month before.

"It was great. Got to spend it with my family and I really missed them so I had fun. I wish you could've made it though." He replies.

"Me too. I missed my best friend turning the big one-seven!" I smile.

"There's that beautiful smile." He smiles.

"Shut up." I smile and playfully hit him in the chest.

~

Recording an album is harder than I thought. Although we aren't recording the entire album this week, it's still pretty tiring.

'@MadisonMcBride: studio with the best friend😊🎶 @ShawnMendes'

"Okay, after this song, we're done for now. We'll meet again another time and we'll finish the album." Isabelle tells Shawn and I.

This song is another version of Shawn's song, Life Of The Party, with me added in. The recording for me goes by pretty fast so I'm out of the booth quickly and get to sit and watch Shawn. Recording this reminds me of when I helped him write the song.

*flashback*

"Do you like it?" I ask nervously.

"It's amazing, Maddie." He smiles. "Sounds like you're writing about a certain Caniff boy."

A blush takes over my face.

"Don't go Taylor Swift on me, Madd." Shawn is the only one who calls me 'Madd'. I like it, to be honest.

I burst out laughing, "Trust me, I'm so far from that."

"But anyway, I love it."

"Lemme hear yours, Mendes."

*end of flashback*

That was before I went on tour with O2L. Before I kissed Kian. Before everything in my life was screwed up and depressing. I miss that.

I miss Taylor.

A/N

I want Shawn as my best friend. I'm not even lying. He's perfect.😍

-xoxo