Chapter 13: Xiaoqi, Don't Go Past the Walls

After being in Song fu so many days, Ha Pi finally got his own food; a yellow and savory corn bun filled with chicken bits. Qian Xiaoqi bit her chopsticks as she watched Ha Pi bark softly as he ate the delicious and hot corn bun on the ground. Then, she shot a baffled glance at Song Liangzhuo.

Steamed corn buns.

Song Liangzhuo gave a light cough and said, "If you like it then just keep it. It's not like I can't afford to raise even one dog."

Qian Xiaoqi felt a bit uncomfortable and shifted in her seat as if there were nails poking her butt. After half the day, she finally whispered, "That ah, he doesn't that much. Um, I'll just pay you back later."

Song Liangzhuo didn't comment. Ruoshui who had been leaning over the table edge to watch Ha Pi asked in a puzzled voice, "Song gege, you even made that bag of chicken bits into a corn bun for Ha Pi to eat? I thought you would have just fed it to him like that!"

Song Liangzhuo lowered his head and began to eat happily. Qian Xiaoqi, as before, only ate vegetables and didn't touch the meat. Song Liangzhuo picked up a piece of meat and carried over, saying in a low voice, "Stop abstaining, I'm not low on money."

Ruoshui retrieved her head from below the table, right in time to see Song Liangzhuo pick food for Xiaoqi. Annoyed, she also lifted her bowl and moved it in front of Song Liangzhuo. Song Liangzhuo could only picked something for her as well. Just, he didn't lift his eyes to look at Qian Xiaoqi again.

Not even four days later, Wen Mingxuan had arrived. He even brought along a tall, robust, white-clothed man with bright sparkling eyes. The moment that man saw Wen Ruoshui, his eyes which were already bright shone even brighter and even faintly carried a smiling expression.

In Qian Xiaoqi's eyes, men that wore white were of two types: either a holier-than-thou scholar or a hypocrite that liked to pretend to be noble and virtuous. Song Liangzhuo is a holier-than-thou scholar. With one glance Qian Xiaoqi had sorted this bright-eyed man into the second category.

Wen Ruoshui hid behind Xiaoqi's back and whispered, "Xiaoqi, help me block him. That guy is a horrible meanie."

Xiaoqi met the white clothed man's shining eyes and frowned. "Official Song has gone to the county office. If you guys need him, go there to find him."

"You're Liangzhuo's little wife? You really are small!" The white-clothed man smiled as he sized up Xiaoqi, then nodded. "But still quite delicate and pretty. Presumably there's something that's superior to others, otherwise why would Liangzhuo, that monk, break his chastity vow?"

The "chastity vow" is actually breaking his "lust ring" which is a figure of speech that means what it sounds like.

Xiaoqi frowned and beckoned a manservant over, saying, "Kick them out. How could you let just anyone come in!?"

The manservant glanced at the two well-dressed men and said in an embarrassed, quiet voice, "These two said that they were da ren's friends."

Wen Ruoshui nodded. "Kick one out. Kick out that fox-eyed one over there."

The manservant took another glance. Evidently, he could not figure out which one was fox-eyed so he awkwardly wrung his hands, gave a bow, and went back to standing at the side motionless.

Ruoshui stuck her head out from behind Xiaoqi and was caught head on by Wen Mingxuan's gaze. Wen Mingxuan didn't speak, he just lifted his chin with a displeased expression and Ruoshui automatically shuffled out. Trembling with fear, she called in a soft voice, "Big Brother."