Chapter Nine: Lamb Dinner

A solid rule within the academy was that as students, we weren't allowed to have phones out. As older members of the academy we weren't made to stick to the rule as strictly as the younger years however. But the rule of thumb was that if you needed to check your phone you either had to have a teacher who was nice enough to let you on it during their lesson. The only other option was to wait until you were able to use the toilets at break or lunch (again most teachers wouldn't let you out of lesson to go) and check it there. Of course, not everyone listened to this rule, I wouldn't have ever believed that Ash was one of them. He was too well behaved to do something like that.

But by the time Brock and I reached the school gates as were leaving, I finally took my phone out. There were six messages that I hadn't seen. I had hoped that just one was from Kassidy but no, they were all from Ashford and they had been sent while we were meant to be in lesson. There were also two missed calls, from the time that came up on both of them, I could dapifer that those were from lunch. That was the time where I was planning to find him to find out about the arguemnt or at the very least whatever he was referring to when he whispered "I'll tell you everything later" but I didn't go because of Brock demanding that he would make me feel better. Simply because he wanted to try and keep my mind off what had happened. I barely even got to open the messages before Brock's arm was around my shoulder. It was unnecessary to say the least. He was doing it incase Ashford was around, though he wouldn't admit it to me, I felt that Brock was jealous of how close I was with Ash especially when Kassidy went away. Brock tried so desperately hard to show me off like I was some price to be won. I could tell him why Ash did it, to mention telling me things later I cosnidered bringing up the arugemnt too, but was there really any point in getting someone else involved?

Almost confused, he didn't pay much attention to what was on the screen, just briefly glanced over and noticed the notifcations, "Never seen so many texts come up on your screen Delancey." 

I sighed, "No, me neither."

"Whose trying to get your attentoion then? I know that Ashford wanted to speak to you."

They had one lesson together that day, Brock had mentioned something about it earlier. From what I could gather, Ashford had no idea that Brock saw us hug after I came out of Kudrow's office. Brock made it very clear to me that Ash had tried to act like this morning never happened, he wouldn't have known that Brock could see us. Normally I wouldn't care, it wasn't as if I had feelings for Ash and Brock knew that , but the way that Ash sounded from Brock was like he had more than the argument to tell me about.

My finger hovered over the keyboard, I typed and delted the start of several texts before giving up. Pocketing my phone.

I would talk to him in a bit. Not right now. 

"What did he want then?" Brock quiered carefully.

I felt his arm shift from my shoulder, to take to my hand instead for it to be easier to walk. Considering what to say, I ran my tongue across my lip, "He just wants to talk about this morning." I decided not to be honest with him, "About the assembly and being taken to Mrs Kudrow's office."

Brock nodded. Taking in the information but not caring much for it. I was kind of glad, it meant that we could change conversation and I hadn't to think of my missing best friend for a little bit.

By the time we got to his, I had completely forgot that I hadn't messaged Ash. At all.

I let my dad know where I went... Eventually. That was only because he rang me and I can't ignore my father like Kassidy can. I think she associates her dad with her mother too much to want to spend time with him as it gets upsetting. It wasn't that her parents were divorced, they were still married. I wouldn't even know if they ever spoke about getting one. I realised then and there that I actually knew very little about her family situation these days. There was once a period of time that I was always at her house but when her mother fell ill that sort of changed. Before sixth form was when her mother left for good but there was over a year before then that it didn't seem like anything serious because it was undiagnoised for so long. During the early stages no one wanted to believe it could be true, but it didn't take long to notice the effects it was having on their relationship as a family.