Chapter 5: Furious Dragon

Helena's eyes were focused on a particular male. Ever since they got together, she felt the urge to change herself to fit in. He was a mestizo while she was not. His family was known throughout the whole town. Known for his charismatic attitude towards women, many wished to gain the man's heart.

But as the saying goes, "The poor is for the poor and the rich is for the rich." She can never be with him. It is merely impossible for a maiden like her to be with someone whose status is above her. She can only look at him from a distance.

At daytime, she cannot be with him nor be seen near him. She's a low class stranger to him at day and at night, she's his lover. They kept their relationship a secret. If people were to find about, they both will be in trouble.

She stayed hidden behind a tree as she glanced at him, admiring him as he chatted with his acquaintances. The young lad acted like he came from a fairytale book. He got the attention he wanted. Everybody that they passed by couldn't help but stare.

She let out a deep sigh and walked away. She no longer wanted to be seen as a stranger to him at day. It was frustrating for her to not be with him. She returned to her home, feeling the urge to do something.

As she entered her home, a quiet house greeted her. Nobody was home. Only the splashing of water from the river nearby was the only prominent sound. She lives near a river. The very same river where star-crossed lovers used to meet.

Angustia river is the name. The river that separated the lands of the poor and the wealthy. One has to cross a bridge in order to get to the wealthy side of the town. Its names literally translates to heartbreak.

She went to her room and sat down on her bed, thinking about everything. She gazed at the view from the window near her bed. Sunlight pierced through the leaves of the trees from  outside. The sky was void of anything dark. It's a nice day to be with him. To talk to him. To tell him how much I love him.

Tears filled her eyes as she remembered how they first met. She was in the church attending mass when she accidentally bumped into him upon entering the church. He treated her badly during the encounter. She hated him ever since that day but it all changed when they met again. Their love story was a rollercoaster of hate and love.

Her eyes went towards the box on her desk. Her friend, Victoria gave it to her just in case she needed something to wear for formal occasions. Victoria used to visit her often but it stopped after she left the town to live in another. It was heartbreaking for her.

She stood up from her bed and walked towards her desk, thinking of all the different scenarios that might unfold once she alter her whole appearance. She wanted to be accepted and there's no doubt in her mind that she will be finally with her lover.

She opened the box and pulled out a mirror, leaning it against the bamboo wall. And so, she started. Her tan skinned face was now covered with white foundation of some kind. A smile started replacing her frown as she kept continuing it.