Chapter Four - First Gig

Chapter Four – First Gig

We go to the pub as I kiss Tom on the cheek whispering ‘good luck’ in his ear as he prepares to go on stage. He takes a deep breath and George sorts him out. I turn to Gemma and Rose, two girls from the pub that I’ve got really close with over the week as we’ve been coming here quite a lot.

“That is a smile of a very happy girl!” Rose laughs making me blush.

“Look! She’s blushing! What’s Tom done?” Rose says. Wow, they ready know me so well.

“He kissed me…” I blurt out quietly just in case people could hear.

“Oh my God! I knew you’d be together in no time!”

“We’re not together! I don’t know what we are but… But I really like him…” They awww at me making me blush more. I look over to Tom setting up the stage as he stares over at me and Dan and George sort out his microphone.

“What did he say to you?” Gemma asks.

“He just kissed me randomly.” I say not getting far into what happened. They were both happy with the amount of information I gave them regardless, “Don’t tell anyone because I don’t want to act like an idiot and it was just a mistake or anything…”

“Delilah.” Rose begins, “That boy is head over heels in love with you. You are like the only person who can’t see it.”

“We saw it as soon as you walked through the door!” Gemma adds.

“And we could tell you feel the same.” Rose says as Gemma nods. I don’t comment, but I really doubt I’m in love with Tom. I feel like I’ve only just started to like Tom yet looking back in Sixth Form I remember not knowing how I thought about Tom. He was so mysterious and I just couldn’t work him out.

“Erm, hi everyone I’m Tom…” He announces nerves taking over him until he catches my eyes staring back at him, I’m so proud, “And this first song is Wonder Wall by Oasis…” He begins to play the guitar and begins to sing, closing his eyes sinking into the music, singing with all his heart. At the end he opens his eyes, and looks directly at me. The whole pub applauds him as I grin helplessly. I turn to see Gemma and Rose smiling at me.

“This next song is called Swing, Swing by All American Rejects…” He says as he starts to sing.

“You’re boyfriend has good taste in music!” Rose shouts.

“He’s not my boyfriend-“

“Yet!” Gemma and Rose say in unison.

It’s Tom’s final song as I see him staring at me as he begins to stutter his words. What’s wrong? He begins to play a tune on his guitar as he attempts to speak.

“Erm… This next song means a lot to me. It’s one of those songs you can just relate to instantly through the lyrics of it. I dedicate this song to the beautiful Delilah.” He says pointing at me making me blush like mad, “We’re going through some tough times right now, and I’m willing to protect and stick by her throughout everything… I love you Delilah.” The whole pub floods with the sound of ‘awwww’, “And funnily enough this song is called Hey There Delilah…”

“Hey there Delilah

What's it like in New York City?

I'm a thousand miles away

But girl, tonight you look so pretty

Yes you do

Times Square can't shine as bright as you

I swear it's true”

As I watch him Gemma and Rose just watch my reaction. I love you, Tom.

“Hey there Delilah

Don't you worry about the distance

I'm right there if you get lonely

Give this song another listen

Close your eyes

Listen to my voice, it's my disguise

I'm by your side”

How does this relate to us, we haven’t got a long distance relationship?

“Oh it's what you do to me

Oh it's what you do to me

What you do to me”

 I really do love you, Tom I think to myself.

“He’s a keeper!” Gemma laughs.

“Hey there Delilah

I know times are getting hard

But just believe me, girl

Someday I'll pay the bills with this guitar

We'll have it good

We'll have the life we knew we would

My word is good”

This song really does relate to us.

“Hey there Delilah

I've got so much left to say

If every simple song I wrote to you

Would take your breath away

I'd write it all

Even more in love with me you'd fall

We'd have it all

Oh it's what you do to me

A thousand miles seems pretty far

But they've got planes and trains and cars

I'd walk to you if I had no other way

Our friends would all make fun of us

and we'll just laugh along because we know

That none of them have felt this way

Delilah I can promise you

That by the time we get through

The world will never ever be the same

And you're to blame

Hey there Delilah

You be good and don't you miss me

Two more years and you'll be done with school

And I'll be making history like I do

You'll know it's all because of you

We can do whatever we want to

Hey there Delilah here's to you

This one's for you

Oh it's what you do to me

What you do to me.”

He walks off stage before he even makes it down the stairs I run through the crowd and kiss him immediately. He puts his guitar down and kisses me back before I pull away.

“I’m not scared.” I say as he nods.

“We’ll get through this together.” He says before kissing me again.