Chapter Ten - Better Off Without Me

Chapter Ten – Better Off Without Me

Finally I have the strength to go to the pub. Walking into the entrance I hear Tom’s unique voice and guitar singing Little By Little by Oasis. There’s no time to run away. I’m in the pub and Gemma and Rose have spotted me and ran up hugging me. I hug them tightly, in one huge hug. As they pull apart their voices telling me they missed me our drained out by Tom’s guitar as he stares back at me as he sings. I look back and smile at both of them.

“I’ve missed you guys so much! I haven’t been here as often…”

“Don’t worry Delilah!” Gemma says smiling.

“Tom told us everything! We’re always here for you if you need us!” Rose confirms making me grin.

“Where you staying tonight?” Gemma asks.

“Honestly, I don’t know…” I laugh, genuinely not caring anymore.

“Ooooo let’s have a sleep over!” Rose laughs.

“Oh my God! Yes! It would be so much fun!” Gemma agrees.

“Really? That would be great! Are you sure you’d let me come over!” I say astonished.

“Of course, we should watch Titanic!” Rose laughs.

“Only because the main character is called Rose and she gets Leonardo DiCaprio!” Gemma laughs.

“Erm… Guys, I know this is irrelevant but why is Tom singing here? It’s not a Friday or Saturday?” I ask confused as they both smile at each other.

“Tom wanted to do it for free, he wanted to do it just in case you came here.” Rose explains.

“The cutie!” Gemma adds, as we hear shouts from George and Dan, needing help at the bar.

“Here’s a fiver! Can you buy popcorn for tonight?” Rose asks as I nod, “Cool see you in a minute!” She says as they both wave. I slam the note in my pocket and begin to walk out.

Suddenly the guitar and voice stop as I hear Tom shouting something over the crowd but I can’t quite work it out. Once I’m outside I feel a hand grab mine, walking out with me.

“Delilah, wait!” He shouts as I turn around impatient for him. I don’t want to talk to him because I know what my head is telling me to do. Break up with him. But I know what my heart is telling me to do. Hang on to him. So my conscience is telling me to hide away from the world.

“Tom, what? What could you possibly want?” I say almost shouting.

“To know that you’re alright…”

“I told you I was fine.”

“Doesn’t mean that it’s true?! Doesn’t mean I’ll believe you?!” He says as I look away from him to hear him sigh, “Come on, Delilah, I’ve known you long enough to know when you’re pretending to be okay or not and you know me long enough to know I will protect you, regardless what’s in our way…”

“Tom, I’ve know you long enough to know that we can’t get-“

“We can get through this!”

“We can’t Tom!” I shout at him, “We can’t get through this! It’s not fair on you! Can’t you understand I’m not that selfish to make you go through my pain?!”

“Can’t you understand that I’m not selfish enough to watch you go through it?!”

“Then don’t watch me! Tom I’m breaking up with you.” I splutter not even thinking it through.

“You’re breaking up with me?” He asks hurt.

“I’m breaking up with you. We’re over. I want you to be happy.”

“I’m not going to be happy, Delilah!”

“At first maybe not, but in the future you’re going to find a wonderful girlfriend and have a well-paying job and a happy family.”

“Fine… I’ll wait to get my wonderful girlfriend back.” He says looking straight into my eyes.

“Tom, please just let go off me and the promise… We’re not worth it.” I say tears streaming down my eyes.

“I don’t want to lose you…”

“We can still be friends?”

“Bullshit, Delilah, and you know it…”

“Fine. Have it your way. Now, I have to go.” I say taking my hand out of his and making my way as far away from his as my heart can let me.

Coming back popcorn in hand, I see Tom talking to George and Dan. Rose and Gemma smiling over to me from the bar, I make my way over to them through the people and sit on a bar stool opposite them.

“Are you and Tom okay? Tom came back in crying…?” Gemma whispers to me, worrying.

“Ermm… We broke up.” I manage to say.

“Awww no!” Rose says hugging me, “Don’t worry tonight we have…”

“Leonardo DiCaprio!” We all say in unison.

“And popcorn!” I add at the end throwing it into the air and catching it as we all laugh.