Chapter Two - 'You're such a cute couple!'

Chapter Two – ‘You’re such a cute couple!’

After a month of stress we finally get the flat we were talking about. As we walk up the stairs, our footsteps echo throughout the whole entire corridor. I sigh, attempting not to touch anything until we make it to the flat, seeing as everything, anyone could have touched. I feel a hand hold mine, when I turn around to see Tom. He looks nervous. I tighten my grip on his hand, and smile slightly. This is what we wanted, despite it not being the best. Shaking, I take the key from my pocket and hover it over the key hole. I look back to see Tom, staring at the door, nodding, thinking. I unlock the door, take a deep breath and opening the door. The dirty-cream coloured carpet leads into the living room, with one sofa facing a small TV which had 80s-like patterned curtains, with a table that would fit four people behind that had an open kitchen with a small fridge and the average kitchen stuff.

“Well it’s not what I expected…” I huff, throwing myself onto the sofa. Tom lands beside me as we both sigh in unison and just stare at each other. He’s so much taller than me, even when we are sitting down. He’s roughly 5.10 meanwhile I’m 5.7 almost 5.8. But as long as he knows me I’m defiantly 5.8 (he just goes along with it.)

“Well its £15 a week, you didn’t expect chandeliers and hot tubs did you?” He laughs.

“No I didn’t think that either… I guess I didn’t think I was just happy to finally get away from Dad and live with my best friend!” I say happily, bouncing up from the sofa and getting my bag (which is pretty much a sack of everything I wanted to bring, Tom has a similar one.)

“Yeah… Best friend…” I hear him mutter in the background. Does he not want to be my best friend?

We decide to go to the local pub first to see if Tom can get a gig. As I open the door I look into his eyes – the eyes I’m yet to work out, yet I know him better now – nerves begin to show on the surface, I take him hand and grip it tightly, he looks down then back up and me and smiles. We walk in to see a poster saying ‘ENTERTAINMENT NEEDED’ Perfect.

“Ermm I’m here about the entertainment needed…” He blurts out, as I smile up at him.

“Oh perfect! What do you do?” A blonde chick asks from the bar, resting the elbows on the counter as people run about behind her, getting everyone drinks.

“I sing and play guitar.” Tom confirms, as I feel his hand squeeze mine.

“Can you do this Saturday at 7pm?” She asks as he nods excitedly.

“Yeah that will be fine!” He says as I can’t help grinning, rest my head on his arm slightly. We turn around to leave when we hear her voice.

“Wait! Why don’t you have a couple of pints before you leave?” Tom turns around then looks down at me to see what I think. I nod and so we walk over to the bar and sit on the stools.

Tom gets a beer while I just stick with a coke seeing as I don’t drink alcohol. Talking, we find out her name is Rose as we meet her friends who work at the bar too (Dan, Gemma and George.) They are all super welcoming and kind to us both.

“You two are such a cute couple!” Gemma says as I burst out laughing, Tom chuckling too.

“No, we’re not dating! We’re just best friends!” I explain.

“We do get that quite a lot though.” Tom says which is true. Whenever someone speaks to us it’s usually about us being ‘a couple.’ I don’t see why everyone thinks that. Yeah, I love Tom, but he’s just like my best friend or a brother that I never had.

“Well, you must do! You walked in here hand in hand, always smiling at each other…” Rose drifts off as she cleans a pint class with a cloth.

“I got to admit I thought you two were a couple.” Dan laughs, handing a pint of pear to someone.

“Delilah and Tom… Yep, that sounds like a cute couple.” George laughs as we both laugh. I try to avoid eye contact with anyone - especially Tom, because apparently we’re always looking at each other.

I shut the flat door shut still giggling to myself; Tom walks straight through not even looking at him. What’s with him today? I look into each room, seeing as we barely looked in the flat when we got here. Bathroom, kitchen, living room and then just one bedroom.

“Tom!” I shout as he makes his way over to me, in the bedroom, “Who’s going to be sleeping on the sofa?” I laugh as he walks in and sits on the bed, pulling my waist with him jokingly.

“It’s a double bed neither of us has to sleep on the sofa.” He says, as I roll off from his lap and lay on the bed, exhausted. We even get a couple’s flat.

“Okay, but I’m going to the bathroom first because you take ages.” I laugh grabbing my PJ’s. Looking behind me I see him shrug not denying it. I put my PJ’s on and take my hair into a loose, scruffy bun. I get a wipe and take off all my makeup, brush my teeth and I’m out. Tom walks out the bedroom into the bathroom and then walks out in his boxers. I’ve seen him topless on multiple occasions but never in his boxers. Yet I’ve never slept over his so I guess this is just what he does. I think myself staring so I quickly turn away and face the window to see the curtain aren’t shut.

“Tommm…” I say in a wining voice.

“Whattttt?” He says back to me.

“Close the curtains please…?”

“Yes your majesty.” He attempts a posh voice before us both laughing. He closes the blinds, when he’s in my view again. Almost forgot he was in boxers.

Hours later I’m still wide awake. The bed is so uncomfortable and squeaks every time you move. The pillows are almost don’t existence. It jolted from side to side depending on who moved. I end up staring up at the dull ceiling when I look to my side. Tom’s awake too.

“You’re awake too…” He says staring at me, I nod making the bed squeak.

“Tom…” I begin as he nods, “Thanks for being there for me when I’ve been at my worst…”

“I’ll never break that promise…” He says, “In sixth form when we promised to stick together throughout whatever shit we get ourselves into… I’m still not willing to break that promise.”

“Me neither…” I say.

“Don’t you find it funny that everyone thinks we are a couple?” He laughs as I nod.

“I don’t get why people think that… I mean there are girls better than me who you should date…” I drift off not looking at his reaction.

“Shut up Delilah! No one’s better than you!” He says, I turn my head to him before he quickly turns away.

“You don’t mean that… That Rose girl seems nice, why don’t you date her?”

“Can't you see? Eurgh I’m not going to say it…”

“What Tom? You’ve been acting funny all day what’s  up with you?”

“It doesn’t matter…”

“Tom you’re my best friend, of course it matters!”

“Exactly…” He mumbles before turning away from me, “Good night, Delilah.”

“Night, Tom.” I say, still confused by him.