Prompt #15

Prompt: Garrett invites Silas and Ray over so they can have dinner with his parents

----------------------------------------------------------------------

                "What time are Silas and Ray getting here?" mom asked, setting silverware down on the table.

                "Uh..." I checked the time. "Soonish?"

                "I don't know why I ever bother to ask you," mom said, shaking her head. "Go grab napkins and glasses."

                I went into the kitchen and carefully loaded my arms with glasses to set at the table. I went back for napkins, setting them down and checking the time again. Silas hadn't given me an exact time; he'd just said Ray had to shower when he got home from work and then they'd be over.

                There was a knock on the door and mom threw her hands up in defeat. "The biscuits aren't done cooking!"

                "Mom, it'll be fine," I assured, laughing.

                She and my dad had asked me to invite Ray and Silas over for dinner. They wanted to get to know them better without a fight starting between Ray and Mr. Waymire.

                I went to the front door as Michigan sniffed it furiously. I opened the door and Michigan leapt forward, jumping on Ray.

                "Mich, no! No jumping!" I said, pulling him down.

                "Hey, I'll never say no to a dog," Ray said, kneeling down to pet Michigan. "What's his name?"

                "Michigan," I said. "Hi Silas, hi Ray. Come on in," I said, stepping aside.

                "Thanks for inviting us. I worked all day so I didn't have time to make anything, but I picked up a cheesecake from the store on my way home," Ray said, handing it to me.

                "He woulda just grabbed something from the store anyways," Silas said.

                "Hey, I always cook for you. Don't be ungrateful," Ray said.

                I led them to the dining room, where my mom was hastily trying to finish setting the table. I set the cheesecake on the table and cleared my throat to get her attention. She smiled over at Ray and Silas as we entered.

                "You're a little earlier than I thought you'd be. Garrett didn't think to ask when you were coming, so the food is still in the oven. Just a few more minutes, though," mom said.

                "Silas said he didn't know!" I said.

                "Why the hell would Silas say that? I told him what time we'd be leaving," Ray said, shooting Silas a look.

                Silas rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, yea, you told me, but you told me when I just woke up an' I couldn't remember."

                "Boys," mom said, shaking her head. "Speaking of them, Garrett, go find your father."

                "You got it," I said, leaving the dining room and going off in search of my dad.

                I found him upstairs, putting away laundry. He looked over at me as I entered.

                "Oh, are they here?" he asked.

                "Yep, mom wants you downstairs," I said.