Prompt #34

Prompt- Garrett meeting Silas's grandparents

               A.N.- I originally wrote a prompt for this but abandoned it so here's a second attempt I guess?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

               I texted Silas to let him know I was on my way as I got in the car. His grandparents had come up yesterday and were visiting him and Ray for a few days. Ray thought it'd be a good idea for me to meet them, since Silas really didn't have contact with family aside from Ray and Ray's parents.

               We weren't telling them we were dating quite yet. Silas wasn't ready for that step, and that was fine with me. I wanted him to be comfortable when he told his grandparents, especially since his grandpa used to be as violent as his parents. His caution was understandable.

               I pulled into the driveway a few minutes later and got out, going up to the door and knocking on it. Ray answered and looked relieved when he just saw me.

               "They're not here yet. My mom pretty much broke Silas's spine hugging him yesterday," Ray said, letting me in. "She's already driving him crazy."

               He led me into the kitchen, where Silas was tensed in anticipation. His shoulders slumped in relief at the sight of me.

               "Hey, wipe those crumbs up. I said to keep the place clean," Ray said.

               "It ain't dirty," Silas said, but brushed crumbs off the counter into his hand and tossed them into the trash.

               There was another knock on the door and Silas's shoulders tensed right up again. Ray sighed heavily and went to let his parents in.

               "Coem on, it'll be fine!" I said, placing a hand on Silas's shoulder.

               "You never met 'em," he said moodily.

               "I'm about to," I said.

               "Yea, sorry about it," Silas said.

               We heard Ray let out a surprised noise as the door opened, meaning he was probably being hugged. Voices got louder as they approached the kitchen, and then Ray and his parents were standing in the doorway.

               "Hi Silas!" his grandma said, smiling widely. "Are you going to introduce us to your friends? Ray said he was coming for dinner."

               "This is Garrett," Silas said.

               "Hi, nice to meet you," I said, reaching out and shaking her hand.

               "I'm Nicole Edmon, and this is my husband, Derek," she introduced. "It's so nice to meet you, Garrett!" She looked past me and frowned, going over to Silas and wiping a crumb off his face. Her hand was gentle as she pushed her finger against his cheek. "Silas Zachary, were you snacking before dinner?"

               "Uh...no?" Silas tried, looking away from her and fidgeting nervously.

               "Raymund," Nicole said, shooting him a look.

               "Hey, I'm not the one having a snack before dinner," Ray said.

               I could tell Nicole wanted to hug Silas, but he had turned himself so that doing so would be awkward. Ray noticed and rolled his eyes.