Chapter Eight

Manda's POV

I stood there, a sobbing mess at the funeral. My parents funeral. Holding on to the one person I had left, watching as they lowered my parents into their grave. I hugged him tighter, trying to stop my tears. Bucky had become my best friend, almost like an older brother.

He wiped away one stray tear and rested his chin on the top of my hair. He was dressed in a black suit, his long brown hair tied up in a half-bun. He hugged me back and sighed. 

Eventually he pulled away and led me back to the car. We were heading back to my house for the last time, as I was going to be moving into the Stark Tower; Bucky had insisted I not be left alone. I was an only child, and wasn't ready to live on my own. Not at 15.

I leaned over the couch to answer the landline. My parents were at work, and I had the house to myself. I always loved being alone, without anyone telling me to do anything. I picked it up. "Hello, Reel residence?" A low voice came over the speaker. 

"Is this Manda Reel?" 

"Yes? What can I do for you?" 

"I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but it's your parents. There was an explosion. They were among the confirmed losses." 

I didn't hear much else after that. I dropped the phone to hang by the cord and curled up on the couch. I was in too much shock to cry, let alone think. I snapped out of it when Bucky arrived, shaking me. 

I sat up and looked at him, and without uttering a single word I just wrapped my hands around his neck. He pulled me close, rubbing my back, and we sat like that for what felt like hours.

I snapped out of my thoughts as we pulled in. I walked in for the last time, Bucky behind me, and hurried to my room. I didn't pack much, I was told I'd be getting almost everything when I got there. I grabbed some comfortable clothing, personal hygiene items, books, my phone and my laptop. 

I went back downstairs and grabbed a few photos, Bucky doing the same, then we took one last look around before we left. I threw my stuff in the trunk and climbed in the passenger side door. 

As we pulled out of the driveway, Bucky put on one of my favourite CD's; Apparently he'd grabbed them while I was upstairs. I shot him a grateful look and a small smile; music was my escape. 

I mouthed along to the powerful voice of Halsey going through the speakers of the car, going into my own little world. It took as a little while to reach the tower. When we arrived, he took my CD out of the player, grabbed his backpack and got out of the car. I took a deep breath before doing the same, and went around to the back to grab my bags. Bucky grabbed one, and I was left with my duffle bag and a backpack; I hadn't packed too much. He gave me a brief hug before guiding me inside.