Ch. 3

"Britton!" I hear quickly sitting upright in my bed. Rubbing my eyes I get out from under the covers and walk in to my bathroom. I brush my teeth, hair, dab a little makeup on and go back to my room. My alarm is going off on my phone now. I hate waking up before alarms. I end the alarm and slip on my purple dress with a black belt at the waist. 

"Britton!" My mom screams from the kitchen.

"Yes?" I reply sleepily, opening the door and going down the hall.

"Did you just wake up? Good thing you're dressed! We have to go! I forgot its my morning to drive the bus and pick up the teens," she says frantically grabbing the keys to the bus.

Every other Sunday my mom drives the church bus to go pick up the teens for Youth Group. I decide to sit in the back of the bus, because my friends and I prefer to sit back there. Its always the best. We're at the last stop which is Zach's neighborhood. Zach doesn't really go to church, sometimes Vic, his brother, does. But really thats only when their parents make them. Oddly out of the corner of my eye I see Zach coming up the bus aisle. 

I smile then start laughing, "What are you doing here?"

"A guy can't come to church?" Zach says sitting down in the seat in front of me and Julie. Julie is my best friend. 10 years now.  "Aye, Cameron! Back here!" Zach yells down the bus. Zach turns around and smirks at me. I give him a death stare and sink into my seat covering my face with my Bible. 

"Look who's here!" Zach says yanking the Bible out of my hand.

"Hey!" I yell snatching it back from him. "Hi Cameron."

"Oh uh, Hi," he says. "Julie, do you mind if I sit next to Britton?" Cameron asks her. Julie shakes her head and moves to the seat across from us. She smiles and winks in my direction. I roll my eyes and look out the window.

"So did you get my note?" Cameron asks.

"Yes," I say being short with him. 

"Okay...well I really should have just said goodbye in person! I'm sorry about that!" he says.

"You had enough time to write a note, but not enough time to walk over to me & say you had to leave? Perfect sense," I say sarcastically. I can feel the rage building up inside of me. I get so frustrated so easily. Zach is obviously eavesdropping on our conversation and turns around and says, "Uh Britt...why don't you read me off the bible verses y'all had to memorize from last week?"

I open my Bible to the marked pages. I read each one out loud, then Zach takes the Bible from me and I read them to him without looking. Cameron takes the Bible from Zach and starts looking through it. He's flipping to all the pages with the pink bookmarks labeled "love". I snatch it from his hands and he smiles at me. 

"1 Corinthians 13:4-8 is one of my favorites as well," he says grabbing it gently out of my hands and closing it. He reads the scripture to me. Without looking at it. I know that one by heart, as well. My heart starts beating faster. I don't know why, but I'm smiling big right now. Cameron looks up and directly stares into my eyes. His eyes are beautiful. Green. Bright green. 

"All out!" My mom screams from the front of the bus, catching us both offguard. I flinch a little but grab my phone and follow everyone off the bus. 

*1 hour later* 

"Come on y'all lets go," My dad yells to the group of teens as the bus pulls up. "Who's ready from some McDonald's?!" All the teens scream and holler. Everybody loves it when my parents are in charge of Youth Group. Everybody loads onto the bus and I'm the last one on. Cameron is sitting in the seat we sat in earlier. He looks at me like if he needs to scoot over or not and I just shake my head no, as I start to slide between the back of Zach's seat and his legs. Of my luck, my mom decides to hit the gas right as I'm doing so, forcing me to fall back sitting on Cameron's lap. Julie starts cracking up and Zach turns around to see whats going on. 

"We just left church, save room for Jesus," Zach says laughing and winking at Cameron. 

Cameron blushes and so do I. I roll my eyes at Zach. I go to move off of Cameron's lap and he grabs me by the waist and holds me down, making me stay. I turn my head with a confused look and he slides over closer to the window with me still on his lap. Still confused I try to get up again and he's still holding onto my waist. I look at him and giggle a little. 

"Let me up Cam," I say as he smiles and continues to stare out the window as if nothing is going on. I try again and again and again and he won't let me go. I keep laughing and I put my forehead to his and stare right into his eyes. I feel butterflies run all through my stomach. We both smile at eachother and start to laugh. 

"Well um, whats going on?" I hear my dad say. Quickly I slide off of Cameron's lap next to him in the seat.

"It was my fault sir, I was just joking around," Cameron says apologetically.

"No, hush Cameron," I say to him then looking at my dad. "Its alright, I was just messing around with Cameron."

My dad gives Cameron the death stare then walks away. As soon as he's at the front of the bus I can tell Cameron's really shy and nervous now so I grab his hand and mess with his fingers.

"So this is what the fingers of a bass player look like?" I ask Cam. He blushes a little and smiles at me. He flip flops the situation and his now looking at my hand. 

"So this is what the fingers of a beautiful girl look like?" He says. I blush and Zach turns around and starts cracking up. Cameron gets shy again so I kick the back of Zach's seat, and mouthing him to stop. 

The bus stops outside of the famous Youth Group Sunday McDonald's. We all load off and Cameron walks right beside me.