Ch. 7

Vic's POV

I walk outside to the back deck with Britton. She shut the glass door behind. We sit down next to each other. I fidget with a cup on table in front of the chair. I lean forward, inches away from her face. Britton's eyes are fixed on me. My stomach is in knots. Should I do this...or should I not? Thoughts crowd my mind. I breathe in a small breath then move closer to Britton's lips. "Do it! Do it!" My mind keeps telling me. But what about Cameron? I just feel wrong.. I want Britton to know how I feel. As I move in to kiss her Britton puts her hand on my chest, stopping me. "Vic, I'm sorry.." I sigh and lean back in the chair. Britton closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry Britt, I just, can I tell you something?"

"Isn't that what we came out here for? Not for, well, you know," she says pushing a strand of her long brown hair behind her ear.

"Yeah... I really like you."

"Oh...well.. How long has that been?"

"Quite a while," I say looking around the back yard. "Remember when me, you and Zach would come back here and play man hunt, or red rover?"

Britton smiles and looks around the back yard, too. "Yeah I do." I grab her hand and with my other I turn her face towards me, gently. I stare directly into her eyes and I just can't help myself. I lean in real quick and kiss her on the lips before she has a chance to do anything. I hear the sliding glass door open, while Britton quickly backs away from our kiss.

"Britton! What the heck is going on?!" Cameron screams running his hand through his hair.

"No Cameron I swear! Nothing is! I didn't...he just...,"she says frantically jumping up and walking towards him.

"Yeah, you're right. I mean of course it's nothing. My girlfriend kissing another guy -- my best friends brother! Gosh why am I freaking out?!" He says with sarcasm, yelling right to her face, making direct eye contact.

I sit in the chair still as can be. Wondering what I just did. Britton keeps glancing over at me, waiting for me to step in and explain what happened. Still, I do nothing.

"Cameron I swear! It wasn't me! He already tried to kiss me once and i told him no! Then out of nowhere he kissed me! After I said not to! You have to believe me... Cameron please!" There were tears forming in her eyes. I can't just sit here and watch her cry! I stand up and walk over between Cameron and Britton. Cameron gives me a dirty look.

"Dude! Stop yelling at her! It was ME! She really did tell me not to kiss her! But I li- I lik- I like her! A lot, and well I just don't think you're good enough for her!"

"Well sorry to burst your bubble Vic, but I'm pretty sure you're not the one who chooses who Britton dates and who she doesn't! She is! So back off of my girl...sit down, now," he says in a firm, even tone.

Cameron's POV

I watch Vic make his way back over to the chair. I turn back, facing Britton. I pull her towards me, putting my hands on her face, wiping away her tears. She lightly tries to push me away. I can tell she's aggravated I didn't believe her. I should have. What kind of boyfriend does that make me? It's just... wait a second...

I pull Britton into me squeezing her tightly and running her back. I kiss her on her forehead then step back a little bit. I grab her chin and gently move her face up to where her dark chocolate brown eyes are staring directly into mine. Britton's eyes follow my hand reaching for hers, then she looks back up at me.

"Britt, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't believe you. I should have. And I just realized there's something I've forgotten to do.." She smiles and gives me a look like 'What is it?' I smile and ask "Britton, will you be my girlfriend?" She smiles real big, showing off her pearly white teeth and that breath taking smile of hers. "Close your eyes."

I walk behind her and pull a diamond infinity necklace out of my pocket. I slowly put it around her neck and latch it together. I wrap my arms around her waist from behind and kiss her neck. She looks at me out of the peripheral of her eye and smiles, touching the necklace. I turn to see Vic's expression and when I look his way, he's gone. I turn back to Britton not really worrying about where he went an continue hugging her around her waist from behind and doing a little dance by rocking back and forth.