Chapter 13

I fiddle with my fingers, examining my nails, in attempt to keep my nerves down instead of allowing them to roam free and make me overthink. Again.

     Last night, I was a flustered mess. My thoughts were all over the place- mostly excuses as to why Jihoon had kissed me. Until 2 a.m., I found myself unable to do anything but toss and turn with my mind cluttered. I hoped that Jihoon was just using some kind of twisted form of teasing on me or got caught up in the mood since we were completely alone together, or even forgot for a second that the two of us aren't in a real relationship. Anything would be acceptable, as long as the reason that he kissed me isn't because he's developed real feelings for me. I don't know how I'd react if that were the case. From the first time I saw Jihoon, I knew that he was someone that I wanted to avoid getting involved with. But of course, thanks to my horrid luck, I did. The truth is that if he were to have kissed me a few days ago I would have probably never spoken him again and ended our relationship without hesitation; I'm someone who has no interest in having relations with flashy people, like him, to begin with. And yet, somehow I don't know how I feel about the kiss, or him anymore. I decided that the only way I can clear my head is if I confront Jihoon about the kiss and talk to him about it properly rather than sitting around.

      I nearly jump out of my seat at the sound of the bell. While my classmates are still packing up, I'm already out of the classroom door with my left hand gripping one of the straps of my backpack and my phone in the right. From my peripheral vision, I can see a few of my classmates just gaping at me, most likely wondering why I'm in such a rush. I would be fine with telling them, if I only I knew the answer, myself.

     When I make it to the front of the school, I realize that Jihoon might not have even left his class yet. But, as soon as I turn back, I see him. His fluffy hair, now a dark brown, and those sparkly eyes I've become so familiar with. The gaze he has as he walks toward me is absent-minded, as if he's completely occupied by his thoughts and doesn't even notice that I'm right in front of him. 'I guess I'm not the only one who's been lost in thought recently.' At the same time, I wonder what he could be thinking about so intently. The kiss? That's doubtful. He was pretty nonchalant when he left my apartment room- almost like the kiss didn't mean anything to him. I would prefer it that way, but then again, I am a bit bothered that I let myself be kissed by someone who doesn't even like me and vice versa.

     But, am I completely sure that I feel absolutely nothing for Jihoon at all? I can't deny that there's uncertainty in my mind among the conviction that I only think of him as my temporary boyfriend. Maybe even my friend, now that I've gotten to know him better. There's no way that I can actually like, like Jihoon. After all, I'm leaving in a few days, so there would be no point in having feelings for him now. Once I leave Korea, our relationship will seem like nothing more than just a dream for the both of us. The only time I'll ever think about him is when I see his face plastered on a photo card or poster on my sister's wall.

     "Lyra?" I sigh at the sound of my name. For a few seconds, I don't reply and look right into his eyes, pondering how this idiot of a person could cause me so much trouble in less than a week of knowing him.

     I'm startled by the sensation of his fingers on my cheek. "Your hair was in your mouth." He says, brushing back more of my hair behind my ear. "Is something wrong? You seem really out of it today."

     My eyebrows furrow. "I seem out of it? What about-"

     "Hey, Lys!" I glimpse past Jihoon's shoulder to find Daehwi a meter or two away, along with Woojin, Jinyoung, and Guanlin trailing close behind. 'Great, the whole gang's here.'