(8) Where You Can't Get What You Want, But You Can Get Me

2D sat awkwardly on Murdoc's bed, but tried to seem calm. It was all for naught, as the bassist had seen his singer panic hundreds of times and he could see the look of fear in his eyes. He didn't know why, but the fact that Stu was so afraid made him upset. He sat down on the other end of the bed, making sure he left a considerable length between him and the taller man. "So? Have anything to say?" Murdoc spoke to 2D but there's eyes didn't make contact.

"You can't just keep me down there." Stuart's voice came out harsher than he anticipated. "I-It's dark and cold. I don't like it." He tilted his head up and blinked a couple times, trying to keep the tears from falling down his face. Murdoc sighed and turned to face him.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't thinking. I know how easily you get scared." It didn't sound genuine coming out of the satanist's mouth, but it truly was. He looked over at Stu, who was rubbing the palms of his hands into his eyes. "Stuart I'm sorry. I really am."

The use of his real name caused 2D to look up, his now red eyes staring into Murdoc's. "Why did you kiss me, Mudz? The real reason."

"2D not right n-"

"I'm serious!" The sound of his own voice continued to surprise him. "I want to know. Now." He crosses his skinny arms over his chest.

Murdoc sighed, picking at the skin on his fingernails. "I care about you Stu, alright? So when I see you get like that, all manic, it hurts. And I had to calm you down. It may be hard to believe but I don't enjoy seeing you in pain." The bassist looked down at his hands. "And I know I hit you sometimes, but that's not what I mean. When I hurt you like that, I know how it makes you feel, and I know I can make it stop. But when it's mental, like when you were off about Noodle, I can't help you. I can't fix that. And it kills me. Because I'm the reason you're miserable. And fuck, Stu, you're the opposite to me. I'd be nothing without you. Nothing."

Murdoc looked up at 2D, and for the first time ever the singer could see tears streaming down his face. Stuart moved closer to the bassist, putting his hand on his back and rubbing it gently. "Mudz...that's not true. It's just not. I'd still be stuck working in the bloody music shop if it wasn't for you. We wouldn't have a band. I wouldn't have met you, and Russ, and...Noodle." Murdoc let his eyes fall to the ground, but 2D took his cheek in his shaky hand and brought his eye level back up. "We're both a bunch of fuck ups. But we got each other, yeah?"

The satanist leaned into Stu's touch, his hand moving on top of the singers. It was only for a moment before he pulled it away. "You want more than this, Dents. I know you do. You might not say it, but I can see it in you. The way you look at this place. The way your voice sounded broken when you sang my song. They way you look at me. You want more. You deserve more. And I can't give it to you. I'm just...me. I'm not enough for y-"

2D's hand clasped over the bassists mouth. "Don't say that. Ever. You and the band, it's all I got, Murdoc. That's it. So don't say that." He removed his hand, staring into the shorter mans eyes. He hesitantly leaned forward, pressing his lips against Murdoc's just as he had done to him before. Except this time, the kiss was reciprocated. Both of the band mates melted into each other's arms, no other thought in their head but each other.