Chapter 10: Avril my Nurse

Teddy's P.O.V

"Uuuuuuugggggggg." An exasperated moan escapes me, partially for wanting to stretch but barely being able to lift a muscles and partially for being awake when all I want to do is sleep. My body aches as I laboriously manage to roll over in my damp sheets and flip my pillow seven million times, seeking for the cooler of the two sides. Once I deem one of them good enough, my body sinks like an anchor in water.

But sleep refuses to take me.

I wipe the sweat from my face and place a hand to my forehead, hoping that my hand might miraculously cool it down some. It doesn't. In one swift motion I kick off the covers and roll over again. Immediately only feeling slightly better since my body still feels like an overheated oven that is stuffed with several hundred pound bags of cement. After a few more flips and indecisive decision making about if I actually want the covers on or off, my heavy-lidded eyes start to close, and as they do, I catch a glimpse of dark magenta, almost crimson colored, eyes.

Any feeling of weight leaves me, and I feel as light as air as my body shoots up into a sitting position. "A-A-Avril!" My dead voice croaks.

Instantly, Avril drops and suddenly disappears. I struggle to gaze over the side of the bed like an adventurer who has just dropped a precious artifact into the ocean and is desperately scanning the surface for it. Avril is gone.

Where did she just go?! This mystery only befuddles my frazzled mind even more. Maybe I was just imagining her? Am I going insane? I call out into my suppose to be empty room, "Avril... Are you here?... Come on out if so?"

I wait for a couple of minutes, in complete silence while scanning the room. I think for a moment I hear the most miniscule bit of shuffling, but I can't place where it is or if that is also in my imagination. Just when I consider giving up my Avril search, "Avril! If you are out there hiding in the shadows, I hope you know that this is really weird, creepy, and super not friendly." I call out one more time, putting emphasis on "friendly", to possibly lure her out.

It works. I smirk to myself as I begin to hear some movement coming from... underneath me? I look over the side of the bed again as I see Avril roll from beneath. Avril hops up from the floor with an apologetic grin on her lips as I sit back in bed, awaiting her explanation. When it doesn't come and it is just a staring competition, I ask, "Avril, What are you-" My question only trailing off into a coughing fit.

Once I begin to calm, a bottle of water is shoved into my face. I snatch it, pop the lid, and drink greedily to stop fully. When return my harsh eyes back to Avril, she returns my glare with a satisfied smirk and a hands on hips pose as she declares, "To answer your question, Teddy, I have come to your rescue! I am here to save you from sickness and the clutches of death's door by serving you, my lo- prince, as your stellar nurse."

My glare softens into confusion, "But I'm not a prince and I'm dy-"

"Shush Teddy!" She places a finger to my lips that quickly skirt from. Before I can raise any objections, she pulls out a nurse's cap out of seemingly nowhere and dons it atop her head. "Now that you know that mwah is here, how may I help you? I could prepare for you a cold glass of water to prevent that dreadful cough, food if your hungry, trade out your current pillow for the one in the fridge..." And the list of caretaker tasks that she can do keep flowing. Well I guess that explains why I didn't have to flip my pillow nine million times until I was satisfied earlier. I let Avril ramble until she came to the end of her spiel, "... Oh and dont'cha worry about getting sick again after returning to school because I took care of that germ spreading parasite. That way they can never get anyone sick again, especially not you. I mean she really should have been more considerate about spreading her disease."