Chapter 14

Hey Readers,

Here's Chapter 14! I hope you like it!

~*~

I arrived at school feeling like everything was right with the world again. I now knew everything about Josh and there were no secrets between us. I knew that there was still some adjusting that would come from knowing the truth, but at least it was in the open now.

"Mina, you're here!" I turned to find the beaming face of Courtney. She stopped when she saw my crutches, almost like she had forgotten what happened, but of course, she hadn't.

"How's your ankle?" She asked softly, almost coming out in a whisper. She nodded her head at my ankle which was still bandaged.

"It feels better today. I took some pain meds this morning," I told her. I couldn't wait until I didn't have to use my crutches anymore, but I knew that wouldn't be for at least another week.

"Josh told me you two cleared things up last night. I'm so happy for the both of you!"

"Me too," I agreed with her.

We walked down the hall together, Courtney slowing her pace in order to stay with me. For some reason, I had the feeling that there was something she was itching to get out. Her fingers drummed against her leg and she was biting excessively at her bottom lip.

"I'm so sorry," Courtney finally said when we made it to our lockers. "I never wanted to keep you in the dark for as long as you were, but it was Josh's decision. I kept nagging him to tell you after your date and threatened to tell you myself. I knew though that it should really come from him so I kept talking myself out of it –"

"Courtney," I said trying to interrupt her long speech.

"I mean you are his mate –"

"Courtney." I tried a little louder.

"I didn't want to lose my friend either –"

"Courtney!" I practically shouted, grabbing her arm to help gain her attention. She turned toward me fully, meeting my eyes. "It's okay, I get it."

"You do?" She asked looking skeptical.

"Yes, I understand. It wasn't easy for either of you. I don't blame you," I told her, understanding the reasons she kept it from me.

"So we're good?" she asked, still slightly fearing my response.

"Yes, we're good." I gave her a hug to show her that I meant it. When I pulled away there were tears pooled in the corner of her eyes.

"What is going on over here?" Josh asked as he approached the two of us. His tone was joking, but I could also hear an undercurrent of concern.

"Don't worry. These are happy tears." Courtney wiped the remaining ones from her eyes.

"Good," he replied.

Josh put an arm around my waist and I welcome the feel of his touch. I lean into him, partly to shift some of the weight from my bad ankle, but also because it felt right.

"You two look good together. I mean you did before, but now there's just something about the two of you. I can't put my finger on it," Courtney stated, staring at us as if the answer would suddenly appear.

I knew what she was referring to, but I quickly decided I would tell her when Josh left.

The bell rang and I turned my full attention toward Josh, knowing that he had to leave for class. He leaned down to give me a peck on the lips.