The Risk Of Eden

[End Of Rebels Of Eden]
I give Lark the strength to stand and start walking out of the Center. I can hear her thoughts.

Rowan?

Yes, Lark?

Am I imagining this? How could Rowan be in my head? Is this another delusion made by Elena? The woman who put all those horrible thoughts in my head the woman who-

Yes, Elena did many horrible things, I tell Lark patiently. But this is real. I'm the Ecopan.

But how? She asks me. She is starting to believe me. I explain the whole story to her over again and I can feel her sorrow when she realizes I will never be a tangible human again, but I also feel her immense joy when she realizes we will never be apart again.

I'll never leave you Lark. We'll always be together. Always.
~~~~~~~~~~
Lachlan POV
With deep, consuming, agony I realize what Rowan said. I love you.

"I love you too," I cry. I wait for Rowan to open her eyes. Shine that brilliant smile that I adore so much at me for the last time. The pain is miserable knowing that it will be the last time. It only takes me a few seconds to realize that she isn't opening her eyes. She's gone. I fall to my knees hitting the coffin repeatedly with my fists. My knuckles split and blood is left smeared on the top of the coffin. I don't care. My heart is broken. Physical pain makes no difference in that. I don't stop hitting it.

Suddenly I'm struck with an idea. If it fails I will not mind. How could things get worse than this? Something from inside me, not my brain, but my DNA itself tells me to be cautious. I feel like if I were to just turn around Rowan would be there! She feels so close, haunting me but just out of my reach. Or maybe I'm just out of her reach. I can't tell who's chasing who any more.

This feeling isn't threatening, but instinctual. It feels like my instincts themselves are shifting and telling me how to stay alive, telling me to do what's right. Somehow I don't mind it. I ignore the strange feeling and proceed with my plan. Tears streaming down my face I turn around and hit the button that says, "Delete:Permanent" The button that Rowan hit before deciding to leave me forever. Why does everyone I love leave?

As soon as I hit the button I feel electricity running through my veins and I'm flying backwards. My thoughts become hazy as I lose consciousness.

Suddenly I wake to a bright light and I feel a warm embrace. I open my eyes and at first it's fuzzy, and I'm disoriented but my eyes focus on her.

"Rowan?" I ask choking back tears. Her hair is eloquently draped over her shoulders and her face seems to glow with life. Her cheeks are more pink, her lips more red, her skin less pale. Or maybe thats just the way I see her in my mind knowing this may be the last time she will hold me. She wears a long flowing white dress. She looks like a goddess.

Don't make me blush, She says-or maybe I say it. It feels like it's coming from within me from within my DNA. That's when it hits me. It is within my DNA! That shift I felt, like my instincts were completely changed, wasn't a side effect of grief. It was her latching onto me. Latching onto my DNA itself!

Very clever of you, Lachlan. Here I was thinking you could never understand it. I latched onto your DNA because it was the only part of you I could reach, Rowan sighs sadly. I thought I'd never feel more than a hint of you again...but here you are! You managed to find the only way on earth to reach me! This is the only way you could have made your brain vulnerable enough for me to truly reach you. Her smile beams. She looks so truly proud of me. I can't help but smile back.

"Come back with me." I beg caressing her perfect face. She looks at me sadly.

Oh, Lachlan, I can't. I guess you don't understand after all. I have a duty to the earth for th-