018

01/03/19

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES

Everyone sat down at the table to discuss Dahlia. Apparently, she appeared to Hayley and possessed Jackson as they walked with Hope. "Isn't that the point of a fortress?" Klaus raised his voice—which wasn't that surprising. "It does a better job of protecting you when you stay within its walls."

"Okay, Klaus, we get it." Maddison said softly as she rubbed his arm gently to try and help soothe his anger.

"Now let's just figure out what we're gonna do." Hayley sends Maddie a look but it was clear that Hayley was stressed and freaked out by the situation.

Klaus stood up angrily and looked to Hayley. "What I would like to do is take a strong leash-"

"Children, please." Elijah interrupted, "Niklaus, your ire is justified. However, Maddison and Hayley are quite right." Hayley had a smug smile and Maddie pointed to Elijah in triumph. "We need to find a new strategy. Freya, if you please..."

"This spell you described, Dahlia calls it kenning, using proxies to watch her enemies from afar but I've never seen it done in quite this scale." Freya explained to the group,

"Awesome. So basically, every hurricane-chugging, boob-flashing tourist on bourbon street is a potential spy." Hayley nodded in sarcasm.

"The good news is, I know a little bit about how her magic works. This tonic will at least prevent her from using any of us." Freya sat down as her and Rebekah both grabbed a glass.

"Well, come on. Should work like a charm." Rebekah said making Elijah sit down as he and Hayley grabbed a glass as well. "Bottoms up." Klaus stood a little away from the table as Maddie was quick to occupy his chair from earlier. Maddie leaned back against the chair, making no move to grab a glass. She refused to drink it.

Elijah stuck his hand out to Klaus, holding a glass in it as he raised his eyebrows at his brother. "Niklaus, is there something you wish to contribute?"

Klaus shrugged and walked towards the chair Maddie was sitting in and rested his hands on the back of it. "I prefer biscuits with my tea." Maddie shot her hand to cover her mouth as she giggled at his funny quip.

Elijah only rolled his eyes and put down the cup. "Of course."

"Besides, our minds are far too strong to be invaded by kenning spells. So, what we experienced was a test. Dahlia is watching to see how we respond to aggression." Klaus strategized.

"And we all know how you respond to aggression, my love." Maddie grinned up at her boyfriend and he leaned down to press a kiss to her lips.

Klaus grinned and continued, "she's preparing for battle. My guess is sooner rather than later."

"Well, if she was watching us, she would know that we have our own army." Hayley contributed to the conversation.

"She also knows where we are and given the immense nature of her power, we simply have no idea what to expect from her." Elijah argued to everyone. "What we need is to create a new stronghold, something that Dahlia knows nothing about, a sanctuary from any witchcraft."