Chapter Nine

NINE

My jaw dropped.

Was he serious? Nothing had even happened between us. Sure, we'd held hands a couple of times, but before just now, nothing had happened.

How could I mean that much to him?

"You're lying." I accused.

"I wish you were not quite so stubborn, Adara," he responded, "you need to believe me."

"Just like I need to be your queen?" I sneered.

He put his hands on my shoulders softly, and faced me with all seriousness. "Yes," he said, "just like you need to be my queen."

I shook my head. "We've done this over and over again, Danyl. I want to be able to make a decision and stick with it, but you make it so god-damned hard!"

He raised his eyebrows and he wore a small smile. Damn, he was attractive. "I'm the one making it hard? Adara, you're the one who keeps changing her mind for reasons I am completely oblivious to. I've told you everything I can for the moment and I have already told you that in time, I will tell you everything more."

"Do you promise?"

He nodded his head instantly. "I promise," he agreed, "but before you agree to become my queen again.."

Oh, here we go.

"I'd rather you be my girlfriend first." He added with a smile.

I couldn't help but smile back, his own was just so contagious. "I'd really like that."

He looped his fingers through mine and he gestured over to Joan and Clayton. I nodded. They were probably wondering what the hell just happened. I was still wondering what the hell just happened.

All of a sudden I felt totally confident. My hand in his, him walking beside me, smiling contently. I may have been nothing in comparison to him, but apparently he was interested in me. Which was helpful because now I was his girlfriend. I grinned at the thought.

"Oh hey you guys," Clayton addressed, "we thought you were gonna ditch us."

"I would never!" I responded, shoving him lightly on the shoulder.

Joan glanced down at my hand, wrapped up in Danyl's, and looked up at me with a questioning look. I nodded, and she smiled excitedly. Danyl saw the look we were sharing and decided to butt in. "Something you'd like to ask, Joan?" He said, coolly. He seemed much more casual around my friends. He even dropped down his upper-class speaking level down a knotch around them.

"Are you two..." She began, "like he said? Girlfriend and boyfriend?" She asked. "Dating?" She finally added, putting emphasis on the word.

"We are." Danyl said happily, grasping my hand even tighter.

I'd never really experienced a full-on crush before. I mean, I'd been attracted to guys before, but this was different. I'd never thought of someone every waking moment, and I'd never had that butterfly type feeling in my stomach when I was around someone. But, Danyl? Well, he ended that, because every time I was around him, I felt on top of the world. And when I wasn't? I missed him.

And I wasn't afraid to admit that to myself.

For once.

Joan squealed excitedly. "You have no idea how excited I am." She beamed.

"Oh, I think I do." I assured.

"No, Adara, you don't. This is big. Huge." She added, waving her hands around in the air. "Adara Shafton has got a boyfriend. Shout it from the roof tops. Let the world know!"