Chapter Four

Francois stayed frozen in his seat, clutching tight to his violin as if his life depended on it, as chaos continued to erupt around him. He could hear Monsieur Firmin shouting, "Ladies and gentlemen, please remain in your seats! It was an accident, simply an accident!"

 Francois stared down at the violin in his lap, wondering if this was the Opera Ghost's doing. He was angry that Box Five was sold, so he murdered Joseph Buquet. In fact, the Ghost may have had reason for wishing harm on Buquet: the man was always telling fanciful stories about the Opera Ghost, frightening all of the young ballet girls every time.

 If the Opera Ghost really had murdered Joseph Buquet, that would mean that he truly was real, wouldn't it? That thought sent more chills down Francois' spine. Since he was a child, he had been very disturbed by stories of ghost who would rise from the dead to haunt the living. If there was a ghost in the Opera Populaire, one who could abduct and murder at that, none of them were really safe, were they?

 Of course Monsieur Firmin was saying it was an accident. He either didn't actually believe in the Opera Ghost, or he simply didn't want to acknowledge the fact that someone was doing it.

 Francois thought about Christine. Where was she while this was all happening? Was she still in a faraway dressing room, preparing for a role she might not get to play? Had she fled after hearing of Buquet's death? He couldn't have blamed her if she did. Who wouldn't run with things like this happening?

 Was it something about Christine, perhaps? That background falling on Carlotta did just so happen to make her want to quit, and Christine just so happened to replace her. Christine had been placed in a silent role in Il Muto, and Box Five had not been left empty, which led to Carlotta croaking like a toad and the death of Buquet.

 Whatever was happening, he realized, had to have something to do with Christine. It all seemed somehow connected to her. Francois doubted that Christine herself was behind any of it, but someone certainly was.

 Eventually, after what seemed like a very long time, Monsieur Reyer said to the orchestra, "Well, come on, start up again!"

 Francois looked up. "But, Monsieur, how can we be starting over again? This has been a complete disaster, and now..." He trailed off, knowing that Monsieur Reyer would know what he meant.

 The conductor gave him a tired and sympathetic look. "The managers insist the performance must continue nonetheless."

 Francois played his part as best as he could manage, but he was distracted the entire time, and he didn't think his playing sounded as good as he usually did (given that Francois could be quite the perfectionist, this bothered him quite a lot). He could not have been more relieved when the opera finally ended and the actors all came out to take a final bow.

 When Christine, who had taken over the role of the Countess for Carlotta, came out to take her bow, Francois waved to her from the orchestra pit. However, it didn't seem like she had noticed him.

 From somewhere up above the cheers and applause, Francois thought he heard what sounded like a cracking sound. He looked up, and realized it was coming from the enormous chandelier which hung from the ceiling. The cracking sound continued, as the chandelier became loose, and looked as if it would fall at any moment.

 More people were beginning to see it, and those closest to it were hurrying out of their seats. When it began to fall for real, Francois jumped out of the pit and put enough distance between himself and the chandelier that he wouldn't have gotten crushed.

 Once again, the room erupted into panic, with people rushing for the exits and the actors running off the stage. All of them except Christine. No one but Francois seemed to notice her, but she stood very still in the middle of the stage, staring at the fallen chandelier. It was as if she was entranced by it, or perhaps just afraid.

 People began to push past Francois to get to the exits, and he went along with the crowd, feeling sick and not wanting to stay any longer.