Chapter Ten

Francois didn't see Christine for a few days after that. But he found out that the managers were indeed planning to have this Don Juan Triumphant performed, and Christine was going to star in it. He couldn't believe it when he heard it. He thought the managers would have been too stupid to actually listen to the Phantom's demands. And what if this put Christine at risk? What if he came and worse things than he had done last time? What were they thinking?

 When Francois heard about it, he knew he had to go see Christine. Surely she wouldn't even think of actually doing this, of putting herself as risk like that. It was too dangerous.

 When Francois saw a chance to sneak away from the flurry of rehearsals, he did so. He had seen Christine on stage, and she looked absolutely miserable. This wasn't what she should have been chosen for, not one of his works.

 Francois knocked rapidly on the dressing room door. "Christine, it's Francois. I don't what has gotten into the managers, but I saw how miserable you looked onstage. I know you don't want to do this, and I personally think this is a terrible idea. After everything you've told me, it's absurd that they would this to you. Do they even-"

 Christine opened the door and whispered, "Francois, please don't shout so much in the hall. Come inside."

 She pulled him inside the dressing room and then hugged him tightly. Francois forgot what he had been saying, and hugged her back.

 "I don't know what to do," she said. "He could be listening to us right now, somewhere in the walls."

 "Then let's let him listen," said Francois. "Why should we not be able to talk to each other freely because of him? It's his fault that this is happening. Doesn't he know anything about decency? And what's the point of this Don Juan Triumphant?"

 "There has to be an opportunity somewhere, a chance for him to steal me away. Here." Christine picked up a bundle of papers from the table. "This is the opera. I have spent so much time studying it, wondering which part would give him the opportunity to come for me."

 "Every little bit?" Francois asked. "Have you found anything?"

 "No, not a thing. I don't know what he's going to do, and I think I'll just go mad trying to figure it out."

 "But, Christine, you don't have to do this. Let La Carlotta do it. She seems like she would be very happy to be in the starring role."

 "I would gladly let Carlotta have it," said Christine, "But I have to do it now. Raoul has a plan, you see. He knows that if I sing as the leading lady, he will surely be there. He and the managers think that if they lock the doors and have the police there, they can catch him easily."

 "But would that work?"

 "I don't think so. They don't know him, Francois. They don't know the man that I have seen. But Raoul was right when he said that he and I can never truly be at peace while he lives." She shrugged. "Well, what can I do? I said I would face whatever was to come, and I suppose this is it. I wish I didn't have to, but it seems I must."

 Francois took one of her hands in one of his.

 "I wouldn't put you in that danger," he said. "If he got you, then what? I might never see you again, would I? No, I could never do that to you. I understand the Vicomte's idea, but I don't like it. I would go out on that stage myself if he meant he wouldn't get to you. I know you can't promise me or yourself or anyone that you'll be safe, but you feel that this might be what you have to do to stop him. That makes you very brave, and I will be praying for your safety."

 They were interrupted by a knocking on the dressing room door. "Christine? May I come in?"

 "Yes, of course." Christine quickly pulled her hand away. "I was just talking with Francois."

 The Vicomte de Changy entered the room, and gave them a smile.

 "Francois le Blanc, yes?" he said. "Christine tells me you have been a great friend to her in these past months."

 "Well, she is very kind," Francois replied, shaking hands. "Um, Christine was just telling me about this plan of yours. Do you think it will work?"

 "I think it will. I'm not entirely certain he can be caught, but I have to do something to stop that man."

 Francois nodded. "That's good of you, sir. I'm afraid I must get back to the orchestra. I'll see you soon, Christine."

 What had all of that come from? Francois had practically poured out all of his feelings right there. He may as well have told Christine he was in love with her while he was at it. It would probably would have upset her, too, given everything she going through. And what was wrong with that suitor of hers, putting her on stage to be the bait for him?

 But Christine said she would just have to play her part, and Francois would have to keep to the orchestra. He doubted there was anything he could do to stop him, anyway. He wasn't sure anyone could.