CHAPTER 6 - A Different Way

Taehyung: "Okay, that's enough. How do you know my name? And how do you know my mother? Who are you?" it broke out of him when he found the words to speak after a break of silence.

So many questions had piled up inside him during the time when he had just stared at the saleswoman in shock. Even you were speechless because you knew that Taehyung had been abandoned at a very young age and had eventually been raised by an elderly lady. He had never told anything about his mother and had always avoided his birthdays because he never wanted to be reminded that he had been given his life that day but had lost his mother instead.

Saleswoman: "Your mother did not die during your birth, Taehyung. I am a friend of her" she tried to explain to him, but even you could not believe these words.

All of a sudden this woman showed up who ran this small insignificant shop on the corner of your street and wanted to convince you that among all people, she was in contact with Taehyung's mother. How was she supposed to have recognized him anyways? It all sounded so unbelievable.

Taehyung: "So you're saying, she just gave me up for adoption because she didn't want me? That's bullshit! My mother loved me! I know that!"

Taehyung's desperate voice became louder and louder as he pushed his arms against the counter and visibly struggled to hold back his tears. He had never been good at speaking about this topic before, but the fact that this woman now had the nerve to say something he never wanted to hear, robbed him of his last nerve. The saleswoman, on the other hand, looked at him begging.

Saleswoman: "Taehyung, please. Please give me a chance to explain," she said in compassion but got only a despising snort.

Taehyung: "I don't want to know any more about all this. If my mother was still alive, she would have looked for me and she would have found me. But she is no longer alive and I want to keep my mother in good memory. So have a nice day"

Taehyung suddenly ended the conversation, pushed himself off the counter and turned his back on us before he rushed out of the shop as if he couldn't stay one minute longer. To your surprise, you watched the saleswoman running from behind the counter the next moment.

Saleswoman: "Taehyung! Your mother is looking for you!"

But she only got to the front door when she had given up hope to catch up with Taehyung and stopped in the door frame. A heavy sigh escaped her. As heavy as the weight on her shoulders that she left hanging.
As much as your curiosity urged you to ask her about her story, you ran after Taehyung out of the store, because you didn't want to leave him alone with that now.

---

You were quite fast, walking by yourself, but after some time you had lost sight of Taehyung in one of the neighborhoods, although you had called after him several times. So you gave up the chase again unwillingly, slowed down your pace with a gloomy sigh and considered whether you should go back or take the way home when a vehicle took the decision from you, which went right past you.

You: "Yah! Watch out, asshole!"

Shocked, you take a step back, but your gaze followed the van with suspiciously toned windows which followed the road.

You: "Wait a minute..."

You've seen this van before, on the security camera footage. Even the number was identical, you had written it down just before the saleswoman had interrupted you from searching her computer. Yes - without a doubt it was the van that had been standing in front of the shop last night at exactly the same time as Taehyung was buying the birthday candles together with little Minseo.