Unfortunate Circumstances

"All five of us were like you once. Human. Children."

Thomas blinked. He raised a brow, utterly confused.

"Me and my buddies came here one vacation. We spent half the day playing around, and one of the robots told me about needing help with building a puppet."

     Ok?

"It was Morality that convinced us to follow him. I've heard his songs before, he says he never lies."

     The animatronic lowered its head.
"I was thrilled. We were too excited to think about anything else. He led us to a secret room, and then....."

     In those plastic, glossy eyes, a storm of distress swept through.

"...then I became Morality. We all became the mascots. The man who did it got away—"

"Wait." The night guard held up a hand. "I don't think I'm following?"

     Morality's eyebrows pressed together, thinking. "Did I forget to mention that we were kinda murdered and now live in robotic bodies?"

Woahwoahwoah—what?

     The night guard leaned back, as if the information physically affected him. He shook his head, rattling both logic and confusion together.

"How?" Thomas queried. "Is that possible?!"

     His companion tapped its head. Clinking sounded as its fingers made contact with rock-solid hair.

"Our killer made something that keeps us conscious, it looks like a tiny box. He explained it, but I don't remember much. All I know is that if we break it, we can be...free."

     The robot's voice rose with hope at the last sentence. It turned to him. "I should'a probably started with my real name. I'm Patton. And the others...um, they've got names, too."

Morality—no, Patton. The child trapped by metal bones, rubbed its arms in self-assurance. It...he hesitated.

"Well, I'm sure they won't mind if I tell you. Remember the other one with glasses? Logic?"

An image of a maniacal blue-haired robot, hand raised to strike with knives, flashed through his eyes. Yeah, that guy. Thomas nodded.

"His name's Logan. The one with the crown is Roman. Anx is Virgil. Puppet is Talyn."

Oh?

"The last time someone figured what we really were, she tried to help us escape. But the bad man got rid of her." Patton hugged himself tighter. "He didn't trap her in a robot or anything. She's just. Gone."

     In the display of his toothy smile, the human detected a woeful expression. Like a grin that kept itself up by force to prevent forming into a frown.

"And her name?" Thomas asked.

     Patton didn't look at him, transfixed by a spot on the wall, and whispered, "Valerie."

     The world stopped. Thomas swallowed a lump in his throat. "And her last name?"

"Terra? Tobby? I'm not sure. Wait—bulls. It reminded me of the Spanish word for bulls."

     His heart pounded with each guess thrown at his face.

"Torrrres." Patton drawled. He straightened. "Oh yeah! Torres."

     Echoes of a woman singing flittered in the depths of nostalgic memories. A familiar face came forth in photos as his mind recalled flashback after flashback. It couldn't be the same person.