Darker Yet Darker

(Minor language warning) enjoy!

———————————————————

5:40 am

     Peaceful. The world enveloped him in warmth and pure bliss of darkness. He couldn't care less about the time. After all, it was far from the hour to get up and head to his weird work.

"...so..ill..e..ay...ight?"

     Voices just above a buzz floated by. Who else was home?

"Shh....sensitive...to the..."

     A young child's worried tone brought familiarity. But where'd he hear it before? Last month? Yesterday?

"At least......can't imagine....."

     No wait. He knew who just spoke. The association of fake glasses came to mind. Snoozing in his room was no longer a possibility of his whereabouts. Cold floor drained his warmth. Metallic smells filled his lungs. A blurry clown-like face peered at him, ever-smiling.

"He's awake."

The image of an authoritative robot sharpened. A remote control, grasped by two metal fingers, came into view. "Welcome back. I am dismayed to announce that we lack color receptors. So to avoid any cataclysmic mishandling, we did not attempt to use this."

     Logan? Oh snap.

     The events from the past couple of days swamped his brain. The newspapers. Wrong suspect. Remotes. The puppet. Nearly being demolished by Roman. Not to mention a broken arm and hellish pain that thrived on the left side of his face.

Thomas got up. Or, he tried to. A lighting bolt shot through his head when his neck elevated a few degrees. The man slumped back, releasing a breath through clenched teeth.

"Careful, kid." Patton's enlarged hand placed itself on his shoulder. "Don't move, Logan said you'll only hurt more."

The mentioned persona pinched the bridge of his nose. He glowered at the other animatronic.

"I still find it irrational for you to have given out our names. As paradoxical or hypocritical this might sound, living by deceit is the only way we've collectively managed to—"

"I hate lying!"

     A quietude fell on everyone. Patton's grip tightened, the human underneath let out a quiet word of complaint.

     Logan put up a hand, "Arguing will not resolve anything. Let's clear our heads of unnecessary emotions and talk this out, logically."

To which, the other crossed his arms and gave a death glare to the floor.

"You'll have to excuse him." The remote cast a shadow over his face, suspended by a concerned mechanical man. "Back to our pressing matter at hand, which button is orange?"

Thomas squinted. "Top right...shaped like a square."

Beep!

A figure in stripes and buttons immediately sat up.

"—are you doing?! Wha..." The puppet glanced around, taken aback by their new location. Roman lay beside them, as still as a doll. Virgil was propped up against a wall, immobile. "Guys?"

     Patton crouched beside his small friend and murmured a few words. Whatever was said, the tear-streaked mascot didn't respond for a long while.