Bitter Ends, New Beginnings

-Ash POV-

=Summer 6, 201X=

Why? Why did this happen? Grandpa got a deathly sickness, but why? We... We did all we could, but he said he didn't want to go to the hospital, saying it was 'his time'. Grandpa was always stubborn, so I just went along with it. Then again, I'm only 12. I didn't have any say in his health. I was drowning out what he said, but something he said caught my attention.

"And... For my very special Granddaughter..."

I looked up from the floor, tilting my head "Grandpa... What is it?"

"I want you to have... This sealed envelope..." he told me, handing it to me.

I tried to open it, but grandpa spoke up "No no, don't open it yet... Have patience"

I wanted to argue, but grandpa continued.

"Now, listen close... There will come a day when you feel crushed by the burden of modern life... And your bright spirit will fade before a growing emptiness... When that happens, my dear, you will be ready for this gift..."

Tears welled up in my eyes, I wanted to hug him and never let go. But, I knew he wouldn't want me to dwell on his death, to remember him in life.

He smiled at me, holding my hand in his "Now... Let grandpa rest..."

"I love you, grampa..."

"I love you too, my dear..."

=Winter 28, 2022=

It's been ten years since Grandpa passed. I now work at Joja Co, yet I still live with Mom and Dad. I was afraid to live on my own. Besides, I couldn't leave little Dawn alone, could I? She didn't make friends easily, so she wouldn't have anybody to talk to. I'm struggling to have money for rent, but I still worked my hardest. I never talked to anybody except my family, especially at work. It seems like all my coworkers want to do was work. But... I'll admit, I've become a bit closed off from family too...

I was sitting at my desk, surely there was more out there than this! I... Felt alone... Like nobody would listen. My attention was drawn to a bright object inside my desk drawer. An envelope sealed with a purple wax stamp. Grandpa told me to open it when I feel 'Crushed by modern life'. Well... No time like the present, huh?

I peeled off the wax, opening the top. Inside was a large letter and some filled out paperwork. The letter was in grandpa's handwriting.

Dear Catherine,
If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change.
The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.
I've enclosed the deed to that place... My pride and joy: Daywood Farm. It's located in Stardew Valley, on the southern coast. It's the perfect place to start your new life.
This was my most precious gift of all, and now it's yours. I know you'll honor the family name, my dear. Good luck.
Love, grandpa.
P.S. If Lewis is still alive, say hi to the old guy for me, will ya?

Seeing my deadname was... A bit uncomfortable. But then again, grandpa wrote that back before I came out. It's unfortunate he never got to meet the real me... But I smiled at the last part of the letter. My manager happened to walk by and began to shout.

"Booker! What're you doing?! Not working, that's for damn sure!"

I growled "Oh, I'll be workin'... Just not here! I quit!"

I slammed my name tag on the desk, gathered what little objects I was allowed to have at the desk, and stomped out of that nightmare. I was free to live my life on Daywood Farm.

———

=2:20pm- Bus Station=

"Are you sure you'll be okay, all alone?" Mom asked.

I nodded "I'll be sure to write, mom! Don't worry!"

Dawn came out from behind mom "Ash... I-I'll miss you..."

"Don't worry, Dawn... I'll try to send stuff in the mail sometimes! Heck, maybe I'll send a thing of cookies!" I assured her, kissing Dawn on the forehead.

Dawn gasped happily and smiled "Cookie!"

Mom began to tear up, handing me my suitcases "I'll be sure to write back, but not too often... I love you, my precious baby..."

"Heh... I love you too, mom..."

I stepped onto the bus, giving the driver my ticket, and sat down. I waved goodbye to my family as the bus drove off. Goodbye Zuzu City, hello Stardew Valley.