Episode 4

Wave's First Banter

Back in Café Darling, Nanaka had returned from Shibuya. She saw Runa smiling with lunch ready in the middle of the first floor. No customers at the moment. Just their usual small dining table present, which could seat up to four people. Yet with Nanaka's arrival a few weeks ago, it had just been Runa to eat during meals. Nanaka saw her sister-in-law's daffodil ankle socks and egg shell Mary Janes since Runa was not behind the counter in preparation for anyone who would stop by the café. She took her seat, which was always facing the staircase, to join her already seated family member sitting across from her.

"Grape jelly on your omurice again," Nanaka eyes stared as she frowned slightly. "It's nice on eggs if you serve it on a biscuit with meat, but don't you ever want a change of pace when it comes to omurice, Runa-san? Salsa isn't bad to have on the egg."

Runa's smile did not budge. "This is my favorite, though. Anyway, how was Shibuya?" She took a small spoon with her right hand, dug into her food, and took a bite of it.

"There were a bunch of girls screaming," Nanaka replied, taking in some of her food and swallowed. "They were looking for some human men, but not to worry; they were over on the other side of the buildings to my left, so no harm was done."

"Humans are quite fueled with energy," Runa stated. "They're quite unlike magicians, but Shibuya does have a lot of them around. I'll still worry for you if you decide to go there often. Outside of Ikebukuro, you're unprotected."

Nanaka swallowed again after eating some more. "You didn't mention going to other magic-filled areas in the Human World. Onii-sama, Taiga-san, and Nao-san are safe, so I'll be fine as well."

Runa finally frowned. "Yes, but danger follows you frequently, Nanaka. It's not as though it'll always be a safe zone, wherever you are. This world in particular will not allow magicians to stay anywhere without slowly draining your stamina. Return to Ikebukuro often."

"I've not forgotten, but there is something I'd like to think about to myself later," Nanaka proclaimed. "You know I can never forget. But, I do appreciate the sentiment, Runa-san." A faint, yet somewhat soft smile appeared on her visage, adding to the beauty and adorable looks she had.

Runa smiled once more. "Having you here with me is a large comfort. To think we're able to spend time as a family is more than I could've thought possible."

They two of them resumed to eating, enjoying the other's presence. It seemed as though the two of them had were getting to live together for the first time again in Ikebukuro. The days had passed by since Nanaka entered the Human World with Eri to escape the danger surrounding the Thai tea-haired girl. Yet...

Was the guy I met today a threat to my existence? Nanaka pondered. I didn't feel anything bad about him. Then again, he broke through my magic and something enabled him to see through my invisibility. The other humans, on the other hand, did not notice my presence. What could be going on?

Nanaka glanced at her sister-in-law and asked, "Runa-san? Is it fine if I stay in my room for a while longer? I'd like to rest."

"I don't mind," Runa replied. "I can handle work around here. I'll stay down here if you need anything."

With a nod, Nanaka said, "Thanks."

Then, she headed upstairs to her room. She walked over to her bed, which was all the way to the wall across from the door. It had blue-green sheets, a fluorescent blue blanket, and a picton blue pillow. She climbed onto it, placing her blanket over her body and stayed on her left side, falling asleep in an instant.