can you stand the rain (alt. ending)

𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐦𝐢 𝐄𝐯𝐚𝐧𝐬: 𝟐𝟕 𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬 𝐈𝐧 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐫𝐲 𝐇𝐚𝐬 𝐍𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐒𝐨 𝐆𝐨𝐨𝐝

Stormi Evans graces our
August #BreakTheRules issue | 08 𝑱𝒖𝒏𝒆 2019

——

Distraction is slightly heard in the background as I walk through the old mansion of Stormi Evans. She said it's been eighteen years since she last lived in this house. With that many years passed by it still looks the same as it did 25 years ago. Since her last Paper Magazine Interview in 94' a bunch has changed, she got married, had children, moved back to LA and became the second best selling female artist in the world.

Everyone wants Stormi Evans's number. But the question is, which one? How about 320 million, the volume of albums she's sold during her career. Or maybe it's 25, the amount of #1 singles she's scored— or two the number of times she's now graced our cover. This time around, the world's truest star invited Paper Magazine's Elina Gan over for a glass of a wine and to talk about her 27 year spanning career and the power of songwriting, with the intersection of r&b and hip-hop.

At 47 years old she still looks gracious and young. She's the same Stormi just more mature and wise. She has helped craft the real sound of r&b and the power of what songwriting will do for you. Without this woman, we couldn't have half of the soundtrack of our lives.

She's successful, beautiful and talented. A whole package, her success has still not been close to being touched. 2 out of her 5 albums have been certified Diamond and she ranked at #8 for the best selling artist of all time. Just one year after her last Paper Magazine Interview she went on to release Honey. Her third studio album, totally taking the world by wind. Honey sold over a million copies in the first week of its release and she scored 8 #1 hits from the album

Stormi's lyrics have mainly been about love, from having difficulties of committing on her #1 track "Keep On." from SweetSexySavge to explaining the ecstasy of love in her 1995 hit "Distraction" from Honey. Between her four albums, she has never shield away from that raw vulnerability that make her songs both addictive and soul-nourishing. Her fresh perspective is an inextricable element of her appeal, yet the pressure to define herself by outdated binary systems has plagued her whole life.