[afterward]

three weeks later

*

*

*

My feet felt numb, but somehow they were still moving. I dragged them into the elevator and forced myself to press the fourth floor button. I really didn't know why I was doing this. It was like I was a zombie.

Once the lift opened to reveal the fourth floor, I moved forward.

Then I knocked on the door. I kept knocking, until that turned into a banging. My throat started to seize up, but still I pounded my fist on the wood.

No one was going to answer, and I knew it.

"I'm sorry" I wailed.

"I'm sorry! Okay?"

After what felt like years to me, my hand felt like it was broken. So I gave up and collapsed onto the floor. I leaned my back against the door. My eyes started to sting, and I didn't even try to fight it.

It was over.

My head popped up as soon as I heard the elevator's doors open.

Michael appeared. His head hung low as soon as he saw me. His eyes met mine. So I sniffed and straightened myself up.

I followed Michael with my eyes as he crossed the room and sat beside me. At first he didn't say anything, and I liked it that way.

"The second night you were admitted, Lexie wanted to see you. The nurses wouldn't let her though. So we helped her break in" Michael suddenly began.

I turned to look at him, but he was scuffing something on the floor with his shoe.

"I glanced in through the door window to see her on your bed hugging you and crying. It broke my heart. I think taking the job in L.A. was tough for her. It was all just bad timing, man" he continued.

"But she's gone now, and you have a long road to recovery ahead of you"

He got up off the floor, then held out his hand. I clasped my hand into his as he helped me get up.

"I know it's like your thing to run away, but you could've told me. I would've helped you break out. I could've drove you" he whispered as if someone could've over heard.

"Now let's go back. The hospital is worried sick about you, but mostly it's just Luke and Calum"

He smiled full heartedly at me, and somehow my mouth curled at the corners a little. At that moment I knew everything was going to be all right.

One step at a time, I reminded myself.

Just one step at a time.