Chapter Three Mia

I looked over at the girl who had caught my attention when I first walked in, she must have felt my eyes on her because she soon looked over at me. I cast my gaze downward trying to escape her sea blue eyes that made me feel as if I was drowning.

I looked up again, and sadly she was working on the assignment. Her blonde hair cascaded around her face, down her shoulders, and I was mesmerized. What is up with me! I never like people, or even TRY to like people for that matter. But I don't know what it is, I feel drawn to her. Wow, she is so darn amazing it's almost inhuman. The loud snap of a ruler against my desk snapped me out of my fantasies. I looked up to see a very unhappy, annoyed Ms. Mautley.

"Mia. I know you're struggling, but that is no excuse to not even try." She whispered to me so that no one would hear.

"Thank you Ms. Mautley, but I just don't feel like it."

"You've hardly done any work the past two years, and what you have I can tell you didn't put your full effort."

"Well no one else put their full effort into trying to save my dad did they!" I replied a little too loudly making a couple people look my way, including new girl. My hazel eyes met her blue ones. I quickly gathered my things, stormed out, and ran down the hall until I was sitting on the front steps of school. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the pack of Marlboro lights. Lighting one of my cigarettes, I felt my anxiety drift a little. Its been a month since they took my dad off the breathing machine keeping him alive during his coma. And it's been almost 3 years since he went into the coma. Maybe if I could've been there to help the bleeding after the fall he would still be here, but there aren't any maybe's are there? After they're gone, they're gone. Forever. No reason wasting your day dreams thinking that maybe this maybe that can or actually could ever happen. It's done. I just need to get over that.

Back in school it was the next period and I was doodling band names in my notebook when I felt a little ball hit the back of my head. I turned to see who the aimer was, and to my surprise it was blondy. She grinned a big grin, and I was surprised to feel myself smiling right back, making me smile even bigger. New girl pointed her finger downward, I looked down to find the paper ball she had thrown. Picking it up I waved it a little, her nodding signaled she wanted me to open it. So I did.

It read:

'My names Ava. Ava Reyes.'

Ava. It's beautiful.

I looked up and smiled, then turned around and wrote on a small piece of paper:

'Mia Dahter. Pronounced Daughter.'

When it hit her forehead we both giggled silently, and when she was done reading it she stuck it in her pocket with a smile.