21

JUST A COPY

JUST A COPY

When the team received the message from Nebula to meet her on Titan, none of them knew what to expect. Messalina hadn't expected to find one of the Black Order's ships, the looming circle lodging a deep fear in her chest. She hoped Nebula's message wasn't about the location of Thanos - it seemed very likely now. 

Her hands shaking slightly, she followed the team onto the ship, her grip tightening on her knives so much her fingers turned white. A quick look at the others showed they all shared the same grim expression, and Messalina didn't blame them for it. Their first encounter with Thanos and they'd all been tricked, and Gamora was taken from them. It appeared everyone was overcome with worry for the girl, and they had every right to be worried. The adopted daughter of Thanos was in danger, and with her knowing the location of the soul stone she was the difference between saving the world and destroying it. 

She winced at every time her feet clanged against the metal surface. Her breaths sounded unnaturally loud to her ears. If someone was on this ship, they were either deaf or waiting to ambush them. 

Peter waved his arm in the air, gesturing for them to stop. This time, the remaining Guardians obeyed. He peeked around the corner, tapping his finger by the device behind his ear, activating his mask. Peter unsheathed his guns, and Messalina cocked her arm back slightly, prepared to fling a knife as soon as they entered the room. 

He rolled a grenade into the room, holding a hand as they waited in anticipation for the signalling blast. 

Bang!

Peter was the first to storm the room, his guns raised and already blasting. Drax and Mantis were hot on his tail, instantly prepared to fight. Drax let out a battle cry, a single word passing his lips. "Thanos!" 

Messalina froze. Could she face Thanos again? Could she really look him in the eyes and not see the blood he had shed, or the memories he had destroyed because of a number? It was like she was blind to what was going on in the other room, her mind reeling with the thoughts of what Thanos could do. 

A high pitched shriek pulled her out of her nightmares. She blinked rapidly, pushing the horrors from her mind to focus on the goal. She rushed into the room, halting her steps as she took in everything that was going on. 

A teenage boy in the iconic Iron Spider costume was crawling frantically away from Mantis, rapidly shooting web fluid at her until she was bound in place. Peter and a man in a suit of painted red and gold iron were beating each other to a pulp. Drax was being smothered by a cloak that seemed to have a life of its own. 

A cloak that looked very familiar. 

"Stephen Strange!" Messalina shouted, her head snapping in every direction to find the face of the goatee-d man who taught her everything that she knew.