BLINDED WITH REGRET

BLINDED WITH REGRET

(HEAVY VIOLENCE IN THIS CHAPTER. IF YOU DON'T FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH THIS SKIP THIS CHAPTER AND I'LL GIVE YOU A BRIEF SUMMARY OF WHAT HAPPENED IN THE A/N AT THE END OF THIS CHAPTER.)

Curio regretted every decision he made in his life. He hated how he succumbed to Stephen's kindness, letting him pull out of hell into another world just as torturous. Only this time he could put a face to the monster. 

He hated how much his limbs shook every time fired a shot, the rifle quaking in his hands as if in protest to the violence. All he could smell was gunpowder and blood, the very scent burning his nostrils. 

Curio tried to tune out out the piercing screams, the clashes of swords, the thud of another body hitting the floor. He just fought. He fired shot after shot, his heart jumping out of his chest as the chamber emptied. He wasn't sure he had experienced anxiety like it when he had to swap the magazine. Yet as more bodies fell around him, more seemed to appear. 

Octavian huffed, his body heaving up and down with the sheer force of his breaths. His knuckles were so bloody Curio couldn't tell where the skin started and blood began, and he wasn't sure if it belonged to their enemies or belonged inside of Octavian. His signature brass knuckles were camoflagued in his hand, the blood masking it. 

"There's so many of them," Octavian gasped, slamming his fist into another creature flying at them. Curio pretended he couldn't hear the crack of his bones on impact. 

Curio shrugged, the corners of his mouth twisting into a crooked smile. "We can handle it, or we can die trying." 

Octavian sniggered breathlessly, his entire body following through his next hit. The creature collapsed into the heap on the floor, twitching incessantly. Without much thought, Curio loaded his entire clip into the creature, watching as it's body shook with the onslaught. 

Octavian stayed silent, only interrupting to slip a gun out of Curio's waistband and turn the safety off. "Bit over kill, don't you think?" 

"It's dead." Curio didn't bother saying anything else, moving out of the small area they'd cleared further into the clearing. Everywhere he looked there were creatures throwing themselves at his friends, at his heroes, at the people he swore to protect. His eyes zipped across the battlefield, struggling to choose where to wear himself out. 

A high pitched shriek halted his choice. It was nearby. 

Spinning on his heel, Curio rushed after the noise, his legs carrying him as fast as they could, propelling him closer to his goal. He awkwardly stumbled through the wildlife, staggering over fallen trees and tripping over bodies - human and alien alike - his heart thudding in his chest. Curio tried to keep the tears at bay, praying to whatever entity existed that she would be okay, that she wasn't dead.