15 | Mystery Date at the Masquerade Ball

It was tiring saying goodnight to this many people

It was tiring saying goodnight to this many people. I was making my way to the very last. By now everyone knew that I would be leaving very soon. Whilst they would all be having the times of their lives, I would kick off my shoes and think about what a wasted night this was.

Then, someone stepped on my toe, accidentally nudging me into someone else who happened to catch me. Their grip was sturdy as they grunted in response to the rude intrusion. Without a word they helped me back onto my two feet, a weariness coming over me for anyone else who would happen to bump into me.

"I am so sorry." I say as I look around, making sure no one else would bump into me.

Then I turned to look at him.

I don't know this man. I haven't worked with him, nor have I met him in the cafeteria or the lounge where many of my co-workers here like to settle down for a chat during their break.

No, he was distinctly not from the firm I work for.

His eyes were a deep grey that shone in the chandelier light. His dark hair was floppy and all over the place. His face I supposed was handsome, though I couldn't see for the mask that obscured the area around his eyes and his forehead.

He smiled, taking my hand and kissing it. "It is not a problem, m'lady." He said, his lips curling into a smirk as a slow waltz began and everyone made their way to the middle of the dancefloor with their partners.

He turned his head to look at them. "Shall we?" He asked, lending me his elbow to take.

I stared at it, unsure and perplexed at how this has escalated.

"I am truly sorry, but I was just heading home." I say apologetically, placing my hands into the pockets of my red and gold gown.

He turned sulky, those grey eyes sparkling even more as he leaned in closer to me. "C'mon. The party is only just beginning." He leaned away, extending his hand for me this time, an irresistibly joyful smile on his plush pink lips. "Just one dance. I promise it will be worth it."

I looked towards the door, thinking of how much I really wanted to leave, and then to the stranger, his hand looking so tempting.

Without further delay, I took his hand, letting him lead me to the dance floor where we waltzed through the entire orchestral piece. Everyone swirled around us, tilting their heads, joy on their faces.

I was confused, and he could tell.

"What is wrong?" He asked me, his eyes shimmering. He looked far more handsome in the direct light from the chandelier.

"I am just wondering who you are. I haven't seen you around before." I say, squinting my eyes at him.

He chuckled as he looked into my eyes. "Who I am is unimportant. Just trust me."

Word count - 500