Chapter 29 : Ruin Me Then

I felt my heart stop

I felt my heart stop. While it was thundering a second ago, it stopped for a second. The second I realized what Stellan had just told me. I was hallucinating, wasn't I?

My eyes widened when I looked at him, finding him completely serious and completely at peace. He wasn't....smiling, but I felt like he was. I was in shock. I took a few seconds to get over the fact that he just made one of my biggest fears come true. I wasn't prepared for this.

"W-what is that supposed to mean, Stellan?" I asked him breathless and I nearly punched myself in the face for asking a stupid question. If he hadn't already, he will go ahead and make himself very clear. His gaze didn't waver as he leaned in closer,

"What do you think it means, Lia?" He smiled at that.

This was a very dangerous conversation. Because I knew exactly what that statement meant and it led to a storm within my mind.

This isn't supposed to happen. He isn't supposed to say this. No one is. At least he isn't. And I felt like if I stayed any longer, he would break every wall I ever built, every resolution I ever made and I couldn't let that happen.

I shuddered as the cool breeze flew once again, sending a chill down my spine. But it wasn't just the breeze but it was his stare that was doing all the more work. It was the way he looked at me when I tried to look away. The look that was too much for me to hold. The look that said that although he is the sweetest person I knew, he was hell-bent on making my fears come true.

Not tonight though. It was already a ride through hell. And it took everything in me to not look his way and get up. I mustered everything in me to get on my feet, almost falling due to the sudden pressure exerted on my legs. I had been sitting far too long. Stellan was quick to catch me. He stood up as I did, his control on his body better than mine. He caught me, wrapping an arm around my waist and that touch was enough to tell me that things were changing. Nothing would be same now and it could go downhill from here. And I wasn't wishing for that. I composed myself and stepped back a little only to find Stellan scoff.

"You need to go inside Stellan. Everyone is almost gone now and your family would be worried." I cringed at my own excuse.

What the fuck is wrong with me? I literally am giving way to my own destruction. I need to think about what I am doing right now.

Stellan frowned.

"They won't be. It's not me they are worried about right now." That made me feel guilty, the fact that I was keeping them in the dark and over that, I was letting them worry.

I sighed.

"I-I will just go home Stellan. You go and tell them I am alright. Just tell them I suddenly felt unwell or any other believable excuse. You are a smart man. You can figure it out. Good night." I looked at the mansion once and turned around to leave.